Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting here staring at a 50-pound bag of crimson clover seed, planning on where to sow it (my little field is only about 3 acres). Good problem to have, though.....maybe my across-the-creek neighbor, who has about 40 acres of pasture with cattle on them, will let me sow on part of his land. If not, "Johnny Clover-seed" is going to be enriching the roadsides in and around my place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
lovely jubly! i likes the old crimson clover myself. we have 10 hectares of the stuff here at the farm. i'd love to get the hives over there for when they flower (especially as the farm is organic) but the goats don't seem to understand that hives are not mountain tops, and not really designed for buggering around with. :doh:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) I can just picture your goats posing on top of the hives! That is, until the girls decide to start buzzing them..... then there might be some head-butting going on!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
lovely jubly! i likes the old crimson clover myself. we have 10 hectares of the stuff here at the farm. i'd love to get the hives over there for when they flower (especially as the farm is organic) but the goats don't seem to understand that hives are not mountain tops, and not really designed for buggering around with. :doh:
:) I can just picture your goats posing on top of the hives! That is, until the girls decide to start buzzing them..... then there might be some head-butting going on!
I think the girls would win that head butting contest!! Then the goats would eat the clover out of spite.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good problem to have, though.....maybe my across-the-creek neighbor, who has about 40 acres of pasture with cattle on them, will let me sow on part of his land.
The cattle would never let it produce a flower. You might want to try dividing your field in two, and planting each half 6 weeks apart. You would double the bloom period. Clover seed keeps very well, you can always reseed sections next year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im in NW Louisiana. Is it too late to plant crimson clover this year?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't think so, but it probably depends a lot on your local climate. My forage map shows your area to have crimson clover bloom by April with browning-off beginning in July ... but, heck, try it anyway -- you never know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts