Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offered space for an outyard nearby. The site is great, with lots of forage, plenty of water, and good sun all year.
One of the specific locations being considered is tucked into a lovely windbreak.....Made from a large pile of old telephone poles.
The poles are pretty ancient, and the smell was not too strong today, but I have to believe come summer when they heat up they will be stronger.

Any issues with the proximity of the pile? Creosote is pretty nasty stuff.

There is another spot open, but it has no windbreak and is adjacent to a fairly busy road feels less secure and more open to trouble from yahoos.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues with SHB here thankfully,
The hives would not be on the poles. But sheltered on two side by piled poles 6-8' high.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Some like to use railroad ties,telephone poles or whatever has creosote on it to keep the ants out.I'm not against screened bottom boards it's an issue I've dealt with and others I know with creosote.Lucky you no SHB I hope things stay that way for you!It's pure pleasure when I setup in a area where there Isn't any but it sure makes me feel is this how beekeeping should be!You should be okay the intense heat rises the odor of the creosote in the summer here and I've had hives abscond I had on railroad ties before.Count figure it out until my go to guy asked me what I had them set up on Ties I said,using screened bottom boards aren't you .Then it dawned on me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before creosote fell from favor, Richard Taylor painted his hives with creosote, with no noticeable problems.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,077 Posts
When I was a kid all the outbuilding seemed to be made of pressure treated creosote lumber. The biggest wild hive I knew of was in the walls of one of these. It was always booming and the whole side of the building would be covered in bees on hot days...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts