Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year (for the 1st year in the 5 I've worked with bees), I've noticed that -- in a weak deep I took down yesterday -- a strange little light-colored, weevil/earwig-like creature, maybe 1/2" long, is appearing. When I hit a frame of empty comb against a stone yest. (to knock off any SHBs), maybe 20 of the odd bugs fell out. I've seen a couple of the things hanging around the inner covers of my 2 strong hives some.

Don't see the bees going after them, unlike with the SHBs.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Potentially a disaster-in-the-making? :s

Sorry I don't have a photo; no camera. I'm kinda "no-tech".

Thx for any feedback, guesses, etc .....

Mitch

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Weak hives with exposed comb can get all kinds of detritus eaters, almost invariably they do no harm.

Very difficult to ID with no photo.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mitch, do they have pincers on the back like earwigs or antenna on the front like weevils?

Jon
I wish I had collected 1 for ID; they had -- if I recall right -- pincer-like things on the rear. Maybe tiny antennae on the front? Next time I find any, I'll zap it with ETOH and maybe give to a local Ag Ext agent to classify.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weak hives with exposed comb can get all kinds of detritus eaters, almost invariably they do no harm.

Very difficult to ID with no photo.
I hope that's the case. Since the bees don't seem to care, maybe that's a good sign? .....

·
Registered
346 Posts
DO BE CONCERNED about SHB in a weak hive. They are the worst. Things like wax moths or earwigs are nothing when compared to these beetles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts