Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some creative ideas for making swarm traps....like using flower pots (i'm using plastic buckets) How do you make your swarm traps??? (And do they WORK lol!)

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I recommend only making swarm traps that contain the frames or top bars that you want your hive to have. Why do a cut out after you catch a swarm?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
In reading I have heard that they dont like the plastic buckets. Mine I make out of 12" sonatube. I get two out of a 4' one for $5.00 cost plus scrape wood and time. Made two last year cought one swam.
David

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I would strongly echo the idea of making a box that fits frames, or convert a styro cooler or cardboard box so you can install frames. You will marginally benefit if you put a frame of old brood comb, but transferring the caught swarm to a hive body is a breeze if the trap is fitted with frames.

As an alternative, you can still use buckets and flower pots, but be prepared to transfer that swarm as soon as possible before they get any comb built or you'll end up with a mess.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smokepole, where do you find sonatube and what is it?? I have heard of it but I don't know what it is. :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Smokepole, where do you find sonatube and what is it?? I have heard of it but I don't know what it is. :)
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188466&highlight=sono+tube

Sorry the pictures are long gone, but you can get the jist of it by reading.

Sono tube is a cardboard tube that is used to form concrete. It is available at your local home depot.

I try and notice the swarm before they set up shop and just remove the end plug and dump them back into a hive.

Okay: Here are the original pictures. My wife reorganized the photobucket account
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/smithie128/Random photos by Brad/Img_20.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/smithie128/Random photos by Brad/Img_22.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you mount it to the tree or hang it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Several bee equipment supply houses sell corrugated cardboard nuc boxes. These boxes are coated with wax to prevent water damage. They are easy to assemble and hold five deep frames and are cheap. They make excellent swarm traps. I believe I also recently read Jester bee has designed the same type box made out of corrugated plastic.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OHH! Funny, that reminded me I actually have one of those, just forgot all about it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I built these bait hives out of 1/2" plywood. They are basically 8 frame boxes. You can get 3 of them out of a sheet of 1/2" plywood. They meet the 40 liter criteria, found to work best by the USDA and Cornell University.

Well, I was going to post a picture, but picture posting is still a function that I cannot make happen on this forum. Go to the posting about swarm trap placement. Hambone was kind enough to post the pictures for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks chick and bluegrass! I put out a hodge podge assortment of traps today. I might try to make the ones from plywood that you mentioned chick. I think I can handle something like that. I'm pretty good at Jerry-rigin' stuff....my husband isn't really a "carpenter" nor does he really have the interest in bees like I have. But if I start to drag out all of his tools...he might just interven...if I'm lucky LOL! :p

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If you are shooting for 40 liter volume in 12 inch sonotube it is 25 liters per running foot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm calling Lowes today to see if they have any sonotube. Any particular areas you guys put swarm traps? I put a few near an area where I know there is a wild colony. Any other areas? I put another in a plum tree that was getting worked pretty good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The tube resembles the tube the marine fabricaors get window glass in. It may not be as hefty but should be strong enough to work. We (fabricators)just throw them away.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I built these bait hives out of 1/2" plywood. They are basically 8 frame boxes. You can get 3 of them out of a sheet of 1/2" plywood. They meet the 40 liter criteria, found to work best by the USDA and Cornell University.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! Thanks for the visual!! I have an idea now AND I think I can build it. I have built a few things in the past from wood but not real pretty. How do you do make your lid?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Now them are some awesome swarm traps.! So perfect in every way. They look like they could be done on a reasonable budget too! Not sure how much a sheet of 1/2" plywood is, but I'd guess its less than nucs. Personally, I use 5 frame deep nucs with old comb.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts