Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I read this following technique on this site on introducing a new queen to a laying worker hive:
http://www.yorkcountybeekeepers.org/files/Laying Worker by Gerald Lanford.pdf :

"3. The third method is the simplest method of them all and it’s the one I use all the time.
That’s not to say it works every time but for me it has worked 99% of the time and the time it
didn’t I believe it was my fault. It is better to do this late in the day but can be done anytime.
Again, you must have a queen available. Watch the front of your hive and you will notice that
the majority of the bees are coming and going mostly from one side or the other of the
entrance way. Holding the queen cage in your hand begin spitting on the queen, yes I said
spit. Spit on her until she is completely lathered in spit. Open the queen cage and allow her to
slither into the hive on the opposite side of the entrance from where the bees are coming and
going. Attract as little attention as possible. Once the queen is inside the bees will begin to
clean her and as more and more bees clean the more it allows the queen’s pheromone to be
released. The more pheromone released the more bees accept her as their queen. The
attending bees will find the laying worker and kill her. Wait three or four days then inspect
the hive for the queen or multiple eggs in a cell. "

Has anyone ever heard or tried this??? Is this nuts or completely understandable? Just curious.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Spitting on a queen is a new one for me but I watched a German one time dipping queens into honey before introduction. It's quite possible that spitting on queens does work but I don't know if I can bring myself to try it, honey dipping is a bit more appealing to me. :D

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Dipping in honey and rolling in flour have been done for years. I imagine IF it works it's the same principle. It distracts the bees from the queen herself and gets them involved in cleaning her up instead.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a friend who was told to do this because every time he introduced a new queen, she would get balled. Not sure if he had a laying worker.
They immediately accepted her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts