Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my packaged bees today. Tomorrow should be 70 so I want to combine it with my hive. Today was rainy and I couldn't do much so I put them on top of Italians and separeted them with screen board. I left queen in the cage for now, didn't remove the cork, and not sure if I should get rid of her, since I already have my other queen that I want to keep, unless someone wants her, cause I don't know what else to do.

I need an advise!
I have my old hive on the bottom (with queen) and packaged on the top (with Queen). I read in one of the topics here that the queen that I want to keep should be on the top, is that true (don't forget she is on the bottom for now).

How many days should I keep them sepetated with screen board?

Is it possible to combine hive with the package, than take the new queen and put her in the 4-frame nuc and add a couple of frames with bees?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I seriously need help and really don't want to get rid of the new queen. If this sounds like a crazy idea, let me know. If you are somewhere near my area, you are more than welcome to stop by and I'll give you the queen.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Why do you want to combine? Short on equipment or do you have a weak colony. If you have a week hive I would consider the new queen.

If you really want to combine and have a nuc box, keep the queen for a spare if you can. You can always take frames of brood out of nuc and put in other hive to keep room available for her.

If you do put the queen in the nuc, make sure you put bees from the package in there and not from the hive because they may kill her.

Im sure someone will take a free queen, I would if I were near you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts