Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - First post, sorry it's not an formal introduction post. Been wanting to pursue beekeeping but haven't jumped in .. yet. Had a swarm show up in a tree in the backyard today. What do you guys think about trying to get it as my first hive? How long do I have to give it a try if I'm going to? Do I just try to get it lured into a hive underneath and then move the hive to where I want it? Probably 3-400 feet from where they're at now. Sound doable/reasonable? I don't have any supplies or equipment yet .. will probably just see if I can get enough to get started from the local farm supply store (Atwoods) - I noticed they seemed to have a pretty good assortment of bee related stuff. - Thoughts about that?

Dan

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hello - First post, sorry it's not an formal introduction post. Been wanting to pursue beekeeping but haven't jumped in .. yet. Had a swarm show up in a tree in the backyard today. What do you guys think about trying to get it as my first hive? How long do I have to give it a try if I'm going to? Do I just try to get it lured into a hive underneath and then move the hive to where I want it? Probably 3-400 feet from where they're at now. Sound doable/reasonable? I don't have any supplies or equipment yet .. will probably just see if I can get enough to get started from the local farm supply store (Atwoods) - I noticed they seemed to have a pretty good assortment of bee related stuff. - Thoughts about that?

Dan
They might fly away in an hour or stick around a few days. Better to act sooner. Are they low enough that you can brush or shake them into a box? That's the easiest. Once they are in a box you can move them the 400 feet without problem. Any cardboard box will work if it is about the size of a standard deep beehive box.

If they are too high in the tree, you can try to lure them into a box. One drop of lemongrass oil sometimes works to attract them in.

Then go buy or make standard beehive boxes and transfer the bees into it at your leisure. Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts

Dan
Exciting way to get into beekeeping. AR1 gave you great advice.

If it can be reached safely, I like to gently cut the branch off and carry it to the ground and trim off excess branches before I lay it directly on the hive box. If you're getting your hive from the farm store (best option and almost foolproof) remove the foundation from 2 frames and put those in the middle of the box with one frame "with" foundation between them. Mix up a small batch of 1to1 sugar water and put it into a clean spray bottle and spray all the frames lightly. You can also use honey and a brush to lightly spread on the (more than likely plastic) foundation. Be sure to ask if the foundation (if plastic) is waxed or not because you'll have much better luck with the bees staying if it is.

Hope they hang around long enough for you to get them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and encouragement! Still there today so I'm going to give it a try ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They gone .. I was about 2 minutes from putting the hood on and my wife, the documenter, walked up and said with a touch of huff .. "did you already do it?" Having just done quite a bit of stuff I gave her a puzzled look and said "do what?" Then it dawned on me .. went over to the tree to verify and sure enough, they were gone.

So, went ahead and set the brand new $200 dollar hive out back and we'll see. Should have done the box thing right away I guess. Just wanted to make sure I could get set up for them before I committed. I'm guessing, since the hive was on sale, it may be a little late to hope to lure a swarm in.

Probably just as well since it was such a rush job anyway .. Kinda have the bug now so I'll take the education a little more seriously, get with a couple local bee folks and go from there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,388 Posts
well you have the hive now so better luck next time.
if you can shake the limb into the box, gently replace the frames place at the permanent location.

GG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts