Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for the southerners here.
This season has been very hot and dry. Most things had just about given up then almost all at once every Crape Myrtle just busted out like mad. Seems everyone has at least one in their yard. (We've got six.)
Question is, is this very good bee forage? Doesn't seem like much to the flowers. Maybe shear numbers make up for slim individual pickings. You can't even tell these trees have leaves there are so many flowers.
The girls keep coming back to the hive weighted down with pollen.
It makes my wife jealous.She planted the entire yard in bee-friendly plants and the only ones that show up are the bumble-bees.:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
WE have alot of those around here but I rarely see Bees on them, mostly Japanese Beetles. I would think they would yeild something but the Bees just find other things in the area that yield much greater.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have two of them in our yard in Tennessee and my bees are loaded down with pollen from them. Can't tell you if they get any nectar from them or not. We have the hot dry weather here too and I've noticed that the bees are hitting the bird baths heavy.

Ken

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've got three birdbaths and 2 water gardens.I have to mow around them when it's just about dark. During the day they don't much care for the disturbance and get a bit testy.:eek: I'm just glad they're finding something.
It's funny. With a huge garden and a yard filled with literally hundreds of prime forage plants the girls feel compelled to leave home.Reminds me of my children.:lpf:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was glad when my children left home. All summer my bees were no where to be found around the yard, except at the hive of course. I figured somewhere in the two acres that we have with the flowers, garden, grapes and blackberries that they would be happy to stay home. Don't know where they were getting the nectar and pollen from but they were busy coming and going. About 2 weeks ago I started seeing them in the yard and around the crepe mytrals and about a week ago around the bird baths. I think the nectar flow is now very low here and what they have here is good and a shorter distance to fly. At least now they seem grateful.

Ken

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 2 large crape myrtles that have already bloomed...when I walked outside I could hear the loud BUZZZZZZ coming from them, but they were always loaded with bumble bees and sweat bees....I never saw any honey bees working them....

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a bunch of big crepe myrtle trees. They are loaded with bees, from daylight till dark. My bees evidently like the blossoms, and I'm glad they do.

Best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
So funny how different regions are....anywhere south of here (Okla.) it is called a tree and is big enough to be so, but here it is a shrub or bush.;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
From the research I have done, the Crape is only really good for pollen. It is not much of a nectar source, and the bubble bee's will tend to chase the girls away if they are around. This is the first year I have seen my girls heavily hit the crape myrtle. If you are looking for something similar that is suppose to be a good nectar source check out Vitex Negundo.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Was at my daughters today she has some white ones with the red trunk. There were 15 to 20 bees on hers. From what I could tell they were gathering pollen. I have seen them on other colors at certain times of the day but some of them they won't touch.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So funny how different regions are....anywhere south of here (Okla.) it is called a tree and is big enough to be so, but here it is a shrub or bush.;)
There is a pruning technique for Crapes that is generally known a Crape Murder. Seeing as though they flower on first year wood many people cut them down to almost nothing in the fall. I use the wood in my rustic furniture business so I cut a couple down late last winter. They are now 10 foot tall 'shrubs' covered with flowers. Talk about a renewable resource.
Back to the origional thread, I took a little drive last night to inventory obvious pollen/nectar sources and noticed that many of the Mimosa trees
are still in full flower. If I was a bee that would be something I would leave home for. And speaking of pollination, I've found this site interesting.http://www.pollinatorpartnership.org/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts