Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sHas anyone seen the viedo about treating bees with cow;s urine?If you have I would you coment about it?Sounds crazy to me.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
how about supplemental feeding with COW PATTIES :D :lpf:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
feeding with COW PATTIES

MegaPlop?

Sounds like they are treating for afb.
I can see why the bees would go into hygienic overdrive to remove the stinky stuff!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I see bees often getting urine from my cows. I always assumed they were after the disolved salts.

What was the name of the back to nature books from the 60's--FoxFire? Anyway, I remember reading an article about using urine instead of honey when beelining.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
all my life I've pondered the question of who was the first to eat an oyster
now I have to stay awake at night wondering who thought to spray cow pee on bees
some folks just come up with all the good ideas:doh:

Dave

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you guys want some let me know.;) I'd be looking at specifics before I'd jump on it though... Are we talking fresh cows, dry cows, high production cows.... Whose urine are we looking for? Nutrition is different for each group and therefore so is the urine.;) What is it that makes bovine urine a beekeeping tool?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I suspect that the uric acid in the urine is having some effect on killing parasites much like Oxalic acid would though I am no scientist. Then again uric acid is also an antioxidant so it may be helping the bees build up to be healthier and this is why egg production and survivability increases.

"Both uric acid and ascorbic acid are strong reducing agents (electron donors) and potent antioxidants"

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
our customers are horrified by what is commonly put into beehives (sugar, hfcs, essential oils, organophosphates, etc).

i wonder how many customers would buy another brand (even a supermarket brand) if faced with cow urine treated bees?

deknow

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
our customers are horrified by what is commonly put into beehives (sugar, hfcs, essential oils, organophosphates, etc). -deknow
OK, I can understand the aversion to organophosphates, other pesticides, essential oils (I've handled some, and I would prefer to handle many insecticides rather than some of those essential oils!), but sugar?!? HFCS?!? Really? Do those customers have any inkling of what "honey" is?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts