Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 acre pasture in which my beehives are located. I asked my brother-in-law if he would let his cows graze my pasture since I have no grazing animals and I figured it would be good for my pasture to let the cows graze my grass and clover. Plus it would save a bush hogging on my part. The pasture has steep drops in it so it is hard to cut hay and bale it.
We set up a electric pony rope fence around the beehives. It was 3 feet off the ground. His cows have respected the pony rope in his set-ups.
I look outside this morning and one of the heifers is inside the pony rope grazing the grass around the beehives. The pony rope is still intact but one side had the insulator pushed up the rod. She must have crawled under the rope. Luckily it was 42F this morning and the bees were in the hives. I got the cow out and lowered the rope a bit. It was cold in my pajamas.
Next time I will put up a field fence enclosure around the hives.
My question is "Will cows pay attention to bee stings since their hide is tough ?"
And have you had cows mess with your beehives like scratching on them or pushing them over?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We ran wood posts and two strands of barbed wire around the yard in the summer cattle pasture (in addition to the electric fencer for bears). The cattle will eat right up to the fence, the bees don’t seem to bother them much. On the other hand, the horses won’t come within 50 yards:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Have a beehive close to the barb wire fence i have noticed my cows have stuck there head through the fence to smell and have nudged the migratory top off a little bit, cows and bees do mix, but i believe a cow will knock a beehive over

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Cows won't really mess with bees, maybe an accidental knockover. We keep thousands of hives on cattle ranches that are being grazed. once in a blue moon a cow will knock a hive over, but just that, no realy damage.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I've had and dealt daily with livestock for over 50 years of my life.....I know their habits & tendencies.

Anytime I put bees in with livestock of any kind, I will surround them with the welded wire cattle panels. The old saying 'the grass looks & tastes better / greener on the other side' is well know by cattle it seems. :)

Anytime cattle can reach under or over an electric fence, they will test it by pushing against it. Thick hair on cattle will often insulate them from shock, and they'll soon be through the fence. Keeping them from sampling the grass on the other side is a great start to keeping them on their side.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Make sure your electric wire has at least 4000V. Borrow a fence tester from your brother in law. If he doesn't have one, he needs one. Some of the inexpensive fencers are not very good and may not keep the cows out. Also your spacing is important. Experts vary a bit in opinion. Kencove gives some spacing recommendations here:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.