Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
When it first started most people thought it was all bull until it went through our churches and our nursing home like a wildfire. My daughter works at the nursing home and was one of a few that would work on the Covid wing. How she has missed catching it is a miracle. When it began they had no protective gear, they didn't even have enough sanitizer available. Her husband works on an ambulance, and he gave her a mask and what ever he could. It astounds me that people still think this pandemic is nothing but politics.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
My wife did hospice for around 10 years, and several people in her family have done EMS, nursing, etc. They may be a little more accustomed to analyzing stuff that will likely kill you from stuff that probably won't. No one among her peers freaked out, because this is what they do. It's more calling than job. This whole thing at least got me to stop watching news. Fear and anger are primal. It keeps eyes coming back so you can sell advertising. A couple of times early-on it got in my head. But after swearing off news I was back to normal within hours.

We have not been in fear, and now that the virus is under our roof, we still have no fear. My son will be fine, and if we end up with it, we will be fine. That said, we have taken some precautions that would be silly not to take. The thing is no joke, and several older folks in our community spent serious time in the hospital. There will be years to analyze who did what to who, just praying God will bring a swift end to it.

And I don't think that bee stings would make you immune, but raising a small immune response has lessened the severity of many things over time. It's kind of how our immune system works (I am not a medical pro). So I have bees, and I'll be using them for vitamins over the next few days. If I don't get it, it will not prove immunity, but why wouldn't I use a few of my little friends in case there is a benefit.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
this is not black and white, like get stung 3 times and you are imine to COVID.

It is a gray of sorts.
Stings DO stimulate the immune response, practice, and use, of most systems make them, immune system, better and stronger.
so with a strong Immune system one may not even get COVID, with out stings, with a weak Immune system and stings one could die from it. Many times we have other things, our Immune system is fighting, we may be aware or not. A relative had Cancer, went in for Chemo, post Chemo got Pneumonia, in the hospital for the treatment for Pneumonia, got COVID. now on a ventilator, So for the most part, healthy people are doing fine with the Covid and if you have some issues , then you need be very careful.
Survival rate is still 98 ish percent so pandemic in the infection area, yes, but wat too much fear, being brought to the table IMO.

Last 2 months in Japan more people died from Suicide than in the previous 6 months from COVID, so "there" the cure was worse that the Virus.

I was unaware stings were helpful for train crashes, glad to have that protection as well.
I learn something on BS almost every time I come here.

GG

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
this is not black and white, like get stung 3 times and you are imine to COVID.

It is a gray of sorts.
Stings DO stimulate the immune response, practice, and use, of most systems make them, immune system, better and stronger.
so with a strong Immune system one may not even get COVID, with out stings, with a weak Immune system and stings one could die from it. Many times we have other things, our Immune system is fighting, we may be aware or not. A relative had Cancer, went in for Chemo, post Chemo got Pneumonia, in the hospital for the treatment for Pneumonia, got COVID. now on a ventilator, So for the most part, healthy people are doing fine with the Covid and if you have some issues , then you need be very careful.
Survival rate is still 98 ish percent so pandemic in the infection area, yes, but wat too much fear, being brought to the table IMO.

Last 2 months in Japan more people died from Suicide than in the previous 6 months from COVID, so "there" the cure was worse that the Virus.

I was unaware stings were helpful for train crashes, glad to have that protection as well.
I learn something on BS almost every time I come here.

GG
Sorry about your relative. That's all kinds of rough, pray they recover.

My wife and I are healthy, and apart from some asthma as a kid and seasonal stuff our son is as well. He is perking up a bit today.

I keep bees, haven't been in a collision with a train EVER! Bee stings prevent train collisions!
And yes, the train thing is a benefit I'm just finding out about as well.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Thought I'd at least do an update. Our son had a fever for 8 days and it finally returned to normal last night.

I was tested yesterday and the test is negative. So 5 bee stings a day (which has been my regimen) will...... No, I can't say that even joking. I did take the stings to keep some immune response going. Seemed silly not to do it as I have the bees.

That said, my wife has been the sole caregiver here, and our son quarantined in one end of our small abode from day one. She tested last Friday and was negative also, despite the obvious. If I had asked her to volunteer for stings, I would have gotten a comical sarcastic look, then a remark on the effectiveness of prayer.

All is well here, and I pray it is for everyone else.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AR, sorry about your friend. I've had several friends who had it, and several folks at work. One friend was hospitalized for 10 days and his son for 24 (kid is 16 and has Down's, don't know if this complicated things). Thankfully, everyone in our community who has had it has recovered (and some folks who are recovering). Same thing, when you know everyone, word gets around.

Our youngest son started feeling rough on Monday. He went and took the test then came home and quarantined himself in his room. He just got the results tonight (Thurs) and it's positive. He is still feeling "like crap", but was up talking with us through a mask on his way across the hall to a bathroom a couple of hours ago. His mom is a nurse of 30 years so he will have the best of care.

On the sting issue, I went out and popped a cover, held 4-5 on the back of my hand, then left the stingers in for a few minutes. Probably do it for several days. Figure it can't hurt. Generally felt bad for several days, but don't think I have it.
Sorry to hear about your son. Hope he gets better soon.

You should get used to the sting after a couple of it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
There are things that help to "balance" your immune system. Vitamin D is one of those things. Bee stings are another. So are lovage and osha. In other words these things keep your immune system strong while not causing it to overreact. It's an overreaction of the immune system that makes COVID deadly. I doubt that getting stung will keep you from getting it. But it's possible that it may keep your immune system from overreacting. Vitamin D might be just as effective...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can say with absolute 100% certainty that beekeepers can, and have, contracted Covid-19.
For sure. I don't think anyone is exempted. It's a matter of how our bodies fight back. The stronger your immune system you got, the better chance of feeling this virus as another ordinary flu.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts