Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Clover....
Thank you very much for the offer. I am good. However, were I next door to you, what you baked would be worth a try.:)
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
A quick comment - I am almost entirely out of my Hodgson's Stoneground rye flour and decided to overpay for some Bob's Red Mill organic rye flour.
Have so say, Red Mill rye is a so-so product - just does not give a nice starter (the "organic" part does not help).

I decided to experiment with just the rye berries (thanks to JWPalmer's hint if I recall).

So, I got a supply of organic rye berries and I grind them directly in my coffee grinder (coffee and all).
I have to say - it works.
I get a very rough rye mill which works fine as a rye sourdough culture starter.
Still mix it with the store bought flour but this way I can stretch the flour for longer.

If must, just grinding the straight rye berries for the sourdough starter is a viable option.
I mean to go to my source and just scoop up all of their rye berries while they are on sale.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I think quite a few flour products have added "stabilizers" to prevent oxidation rancidity. They may interfere to some extent with the way the natural sourdough cultures develop. Some of these may be natural occurring so still qualify as organic. Commercial yeasts will overpower, them but some of the subtleties of sourdough may suffer.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I think quite a few flour products have added "stabilizers" to prevent oxidation rancidity. They may interfere to some extent with the way the natural sourdough cultures develop. Some of these may be natural occurring so still qualify as organic. Commercial yeasts will overpower, them but some of the subtleties of sourdough may suffer.

Well, the ingredients of the rye flours I got list no additives.
Which is the expectation - nothing but flour should be in that bag.

But anyway, I can vouch that rye flours from Hodgsons and Red Mill perform totally differently as far as the sourdough culture mediums. Whatever is the reason - they are different (Red Mill is mediocre).
Just no-name plain organic rye grain, after rough grinding, is fermenting really nicely.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I have been stretching my yeast supply by using a portion of sourdough. Yeast is back on the shelves again at the precovid price so I am using a tad more yeast now and can use the normal cycle on the bread maker. With a high proportion of sourdough I had to put things on pause for about an hour extra rise time. Sometimes I forgot:rolleyes: Not good:( when it lifts up the lid and threatens to escape out onto the cupboard top.

I think though that my wife actually finds it entertaining when I do something stupid like that! It is not like I have not given her many opportunities over the last 50 years!:D

61 - 66 of 66 Posts