Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is a beauty, Dan.
Baking/cooking outside in summer - a killer project.
I wish I had such setup.

Thanks Greg. I'll post a build log of the oven one day. Its really not that complicated to build. Heck, I've never laid a brick in my life until I started this project.

Dan
I can picture some nice meat coming out of that to compliment the bread.
Cheers
gww

I have the same visions, gww. One day I'll turn those visions into reality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After 1 hour timer went off, checked the baking pot - the batter has rebounded enough and is ready to bake.
I had cases in the past when I forgot about my bread, and the bubbling mess spilled out of the pot (the phone timer is a must for me).

Enjoy!
This loaf should last for about 3 days for us - 5 hungry heads.

PS: the entire project is mostly about time management and not much else - which is a good fit when "working from home" and the kitchen is a short-walk away;
during the "normal" times, I usually bake on weekends
Looks delicious, Greg. I hope you and your family enjoy it and think about those of us looking on and licking our lips :D Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Thanks ALL.
End of this "blog" entry.
Try it at home.
Experiment - there is not much to lose.

PS: I heard some fracas over the fresh crust exploded in the kitchen!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Bread.JPG

Our standard loaf here, wife has had her sourdough going for many years. Ingredient list for this bread is quite simple. Water, flour, salt.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well Frank, I hope you guys are happy. See what you made me do.

Just a plain ole loaf of white bread just out of the oven.
Well I gotta go eat now.
Cheers
gww

Attachments

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Thank you Frank.
It was good with baked ham and another with strawberry jelly. I feel like I could pop any minute now.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Used to have a recipe for "Friendship Bread". It was a sourdough batter bread that was quite tasty. Eventually lost the starter and misplaced the recipe. Probably easy to find if I looked.
I have it JW if you want it.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,802 Posts
Deb, please post it here. I am sure others would love to give it a try too. Right now my oven is on the fritz, needs a new control board, $160.

As a red-blooded American Male, I cannot help but speculate on the advantages of having one's wife kneading bread on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Deb, please post it here. I am sure others would love to give it a try too. Right now my oven is on the fritz, needs a new control board, $160.

As a red-blooded American Male, I cannot help but speculate on the advantages of having one's wife kneading bread on a weekly basis.
Oof, no oven, especially now! I want to make sure we are talking about the fermented Amish Friendship bread; you have a ”starter”, and it sits on the counter for 10 days adding to the starter on day 5. Is this the one you are looking for? Um, no kneading involved....��

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
A wise husband buys his wife a KitchenAid stand mixer to knead the bread...
While I do have a KitchenAid 6qt mixer, an inexpensive alternative that I use more often is a bread machine from a 2nd-hand store. I pay around $8-$12 for bread machines at a local Habitat For Humanity resale store. I use them until they quit, then get out another from my stash.:)

I don't like having a 'paddle' hole in the middle of my bread, plus I prefer a traditional loaf shape. My solution is to simply transfer the dough from the bread machine into a regular loaf pan after the machine has done the 1st rise. The final rise is in the Pyrex loaf pan and then it gets baked in a regular oven.

One advantage of the bread machine over a mixer is that the bread machine has programmed in 'wait' cycles that allow the dough to rest for certain intervals. If I was using a mixer, I'd need to remember:rolleyes: to get back to that task after a bit. The bread machine means I only need to come back to it for the dough transfer into the loaf pan. But I do use the timer on my phone to remind me to do that.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I hear you about the paddle holes. I have a kuraidori with two paddles and a more conventional loaf shape. I cut 2 slices off the bottom of the entire loaf which gets rid of most of the paddle holes, then the balance slices off the end of the loaf and is quite standard shape

I made a loaf today with only the leavening from the starter dough. I had to interrupt the cycle and let the bread rise an extra hour on the second rise then dial in the bake time manually.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,802 Posts
Oof, no oven, especially now! I want to make sure we are talking about the fermented Amish Friendship bread; you have a ”starter”, and it sits on the counter for 10 days adding to the starter on day 5. Is this the one you are looking for? Um, no kneading involved....��
That is the one. The kneading was unrelated.

Jenn Aire no longer has the part available. I have to get a remanufactured control board from Corecentric and just haven't done it yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Those of us who buy milled flour may find this article about King Arthur flour demand & response during the 'social distancing' era interesting reading:

King Arthur has seen demand for its flour surge almost three-fold in March as a country in lockdown turned to making bread and other baked goods as a way of passing the time.

“It feels like years ago, although it was only weeks ago,” says King Arthur co-CEO Karen Colberg. “We started working with our milling partners to ramp up safely. We asked how quickly can you go from operating at about half-capacity to 24-seven?”

The escalation is aimed at bringing millions of pounds of new flour to stores across the country in the next few weeks, as consumers find some types of flour to be in short supply, including King Arthur’s all-purpose flour, the nation’s second-best seller after Gold Medal. The 230-year-old company sold about 6.1 million bags of all-purpose flour in March, a 268% increase from the prior year.

Read the rest here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloes...irus-demand-as-flour-sales-soar/#3a567c7c5514

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
The real good stuff is rewana bread (Maori bread), from New Zealand. :) Rewana is how Maori pronounce leven.

It's quite thick and doughy. Best eaten when you are real hungry. Warm, thick slice with butter, and either jam or honey. Filling and satisfying, leaves you feeling good.

Here's a quick doco on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEaySvvPtA

And below is a recipe for making the leven. Just be aware when she said put salt in it she meant to say put sugar in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzcncoFM4aQ

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Those of us who buy milled flour may find this article about King Arthur flour demand & response during the 'social distancing' era interesting reading:
My wife was reading me a note last nite she saw online, from Robin Hood, the folks that make flour. It's telling folks they have run out of yellow branded Robin Hood flour bags so you can expect to see the flour on the shelf in a plain brown bag for a few weeks, but no worries, its the same flour you normally buy in the yellow branded RH bag.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts