Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I'm thinking. If there are 100 hives out in the bee yard and I want to invite over a class, freinds, or help, should I have a contract or something else signed ahead of time so that there are no liability issues? Anybody done this? Is it legal to ask someone to sign before getting stung?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Just put up a sign stating that you hold no responcabilty for medical related injuries that my occur on proporty

and sure - you can have them sign a "permisson '' slip to attend the event

on that note - you might have to get an event permit ( from the county)
some require it when ever there is public people gathering

but anyone one that wants to sue me over a sting is not on my friends list !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
You should know your bees better than anyone on this forum.... Could you really take strangers out in the beeyard and everything be ok? My guess is yes, if your not doing inspections in large groups in tee shirts and jeans, but, due to the fact that we are a "sue hungry world", you might want a simple disclaimer...

Kinda like if I had 50 bobcats fenced into a small area, I'd already know ahead of time if it would be ok to go in and take you in with me or not. I just seen Jack Hannah go into a fenced in area with brown and black bears. I'm sure the person taking him into the fenced in areas knew ahead of time if everything would be ok or not. (It was). So, it really depends on "who" you are taking into the beeyard and how your bees behave. Sure, you could take me into your beeyard, I could get a sting or two. I'm not allergic, and wouldn't even consider sueing. That's what "we" do. So, I reinforce "who" your taking into the bee yard.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
hmmm What are you inviting them over for? Just to see the hives, maybe walk up behind one and peek around, watching the bees coming and going, looking for the pollen sacks? and the different colors?

Or are you going to open a hive, and let some of them veil up and see inside a hive?

What you do with the folks there, and the age of the group, makes a big difference. Even the most gentle bees can have a bad day. And if your guests are kids, you know there will be at least one boy in the group that will do something to get someone, if not himself, stung.

I have folks over all the time, and we walk up to the rear of my hives, and peek around the front... no veils, no problem. A few I've had to remind time and again to stay back from the front, and out of the flight path... adults too! Some folks just won't listen until they get zapped!
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
128 Posts
We all might appreciate a copy of those releases. Could you post here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I suggest you talk to a lawyer before inviting a crowd over to your property with stinging insects. My understanding of liability releases is most of them are not worth the paper they are written on unless there are specific state laws in place addressing your liability issue. Generally, one can't sign away their constitutional right to liability.

Remember, we unfortunately live in a litigous society. Anyone can bring a law suit against you for any reason. You may be totally innocent but will have to hire a lawyer to defend yourself. A lot of Americans have learned how to not take responsibility for their own actions/decisions. Worse yet, there is the chance of a fat paycheck waiting for their pain and suffering to eg them on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sorry to tell you there generally is never any way to totally escape liability. Signs, liability waivers etc are all nice but they won't keep you out of court if someone claims injury and gets an attorney. No matter what the outcome it's costly to get there. No matter what they sign they always claim they signed off relying upon your expertise to protect them, and you didn't to the degree a reasonable person would expect yadda yadda yadda.

Sorry

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I will try to post it to my website as soon as I get time. change the "Who you are" "who and where" "partners"

Who you are
Waiver of Liability and Hold harmless Agreement
Who you are

1. In consideration for receiving training at the who and where in keeping honey bees, I hereby RELEASE, WAIVE, DISCHARGE, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the
Who you are or any of its members, the partners, their officers servants, agents, or employees (hereinafter referred to as RELEASES) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions, and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death that may be sustained by me, or to any property belonging to me, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASES, or otherwise, while participating in such course or activity, or while in, on or upon the premises where the activity is being conducted. This waiver also pertains to the members of the Who you are hosting this event.

2. To the best of my knowledge, I am not allergic to bee stings. I am fully aware of risks and hazards connected with the activity of keeping honey bees, including the risk of being stung by a honey bee, and I hereby elect to voluntarily participate in said activity, and to enter the above named premises and engage in such activity knowing that the activity may be hazardous to me and my property. I VOLUNTARILY ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RISKS OF LOSS, PROPERY DAMAGE OR PERSOAL INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH, that may be sustained by me, or any loss or damage to property owned by me, as a result of being engaged in such activity, WHETHER CAUSED B THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASES or otherwise.

3. I further hereby AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE RELEASES from any loss, liability damage or costs, including attorneys’ fees, they incur due to my participation in said activity, WHETHER CAUSED BY HE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASES or otherwise.

4. It is my express intent that this Release shall bind the members of my family and spouse, if I am alive and my heirs, assigns and personal representative, if I am deceased, and shall be deemed as a RELEASE, WAIVER, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the above names RELEASES.

IN SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I ACKNOWLEDGE AND REPRESENT THAT:

A. I have read the foregoing Release, understand it and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed;

B. No oral representations, statements, or inducements, apart from the foregoing written agreement, have been made;

C. I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent;

D. I execute this Release fro full adequate and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by the same.

Name or Participant ___________________________________________________________ (please print)

________________________________________________________________________ _____________________
Signature of Participant if over 18 years of age Date
Signature of Parent or Guardian if under 18 years of age

·
Registered
246 Posts
@Americasbeekeeper: I do not know the American legal system, but that waiver seems to broad to be taken into consideration by a court.

As far as I can see, the waiver gives you the permission to beat the person to death if you so wishes.;)

I would make it more specific, regarding bee-stings, epinephrine reaction, stumbling, bumping into hive bodies etc. and add a "related activities" at the end.

I would also put in a statement that there will be at least x doses of epinephrine(or alternative), and a phone at the premises. And that you are not to be regarded as qualified medical personnel. But if needed will help according to your knowledge and phone-instructions from 911.

I would also have a line saying that the participant must at all times follow your instructions.

By adding the "what I will do" part, you are telling the court about potential risks you know of, and that you have prepared for them. This is a much stronger statement than sorta saying "I take no responsibility, and don't give a ****." :lpf:
By this you also state what kind of help you might be able to give and not give. This should set the level of what participants may expect.

But again, this is AFAIK the way it works at this side of the pond. With your legal system, it may be another story.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Broad and general is the best in Florida. If it is specific in any way, any exception not explicitly defined nullifies the agreement. Florida master Beekeepers, like me, are certified and licensed epinephrine administrators. If we mention medical response we are expected to remain current and qualified with adeqate equipment for any eventallity, even an AED. I have 40 hours of emergency medical training, but it would increase our liability to mention it. A Florida lawyer wrote the waiver. It should hold in any court or we can sue the lawyer for incompetence and it would still demonstate best intent.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oh well.

Guess you have a somewhat different legal system over there.:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
This is what I'm thinking. If there are 100 hives out in the bee yard and I want to invite over a class, freinds, or help, should I have a contract or something else signed ahead of time so that there are no liability issues? Anybody done this? Is it legal to ask someone to sign before getting stung?

Apologies for the possible threadjack, but I have a somewhat related question:

If I'm having a yard party, is it possible to "lock" my bees in the hive with some sort of reverse bee escape?

My hives are observation hives, if if I could get them all locked up, I may even let guests near them to take a look.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
You could put a screen in the entrances for a few hours. The problem is everyone will think they cannot get out and take more risks. A few bees will find a way out and be pissed from being screened in. I just tell my guests there is a hive there and they sting people that do not like them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts