Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try a gallon glass jar as a feeder. I was using an entrance feeder on a new swarm thats building foundation until last night. I noticed my stronger hive was fighting with the others trying to get to the feeder. I removed the feeder and replaced the entrance feeder to the smallest hole on the small hive. I now have a half gallon glass jar with holes in the lid and would like to try this. My question is that if I place this over the inner cover hole then havent I just blocked all my ventilation? Its very hot (100) right now and I think they need all the ventilation they need. Also during the winter wont blocking this hole create condensation? Even with an upper entrance in the cover once you cover the oblong hole the upper entrance can do no good right? Without placing the jar on shims to allow the hole to be open just how do I accompolish a goot vent and feed? Do folks not have problems covering up their inner cover holes?
thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
I put my feeder directly over the hole in the inner cover. I have it raised on scraps of bead board so they can enter the box under the feeder. I have an upper entrance on the inner cover.
Last night I added a ventilated frame to improve the air circulation.
Best wishes
Meridith

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes but i need to limit my opening since i have a hive thats trying to access food and rob from this hive. I may just raise the jar up a bit with shims

·
Registered
274 Posts
My feeder is completely enclosed in an empty medium box. If the upper entrance is closed , the robbers cannot access the feeder without transversing the entire hive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the same concern with ventilation. So when I feed and the temps get warm, I simply use a couple of thin shims to lift up my feeder enough to allow some air movement, but not enough for robbers to access it. It works for me. We don't get too hot in Maine during feeding season, but if it were to get too hot, I'd lift the bucket about one inch with blocks, and screen the upper entrance hole (in inner cover). They would have their food, decent ventilation, and robbers would be blocked.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You could put a top entrance shim on (below the inner cover) and place a piece of hardware cloth over the opening to prevent entry...

EDITED: I see tree said the same thing basically.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts