Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a double nuc which I just made up from a hive with 2 deeps. I do not have a telescoping cover for this one and am just using a top entrance board flipped over to seal things up.

How will this affect ventilation in summer? I imagine it's going to be crazy hot in there.

the nuc also has a circle hole for a mason jar in case you want to feed. I think MP just tapes these shut when not in use. I put a small piece of plywood over it so the bees cannot cross into the other nuc. 1. But this has me wondering how in the world these bees are going to keep the hive ventilated with the only opening being the small one on the bottom?

2. My other double nuc(not pictured) is much stronger and has no inner covers just the telescoping cover. Is that Okay?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I use feed bag or typar over the divided box and that works pretty well. I just discovered some excellent yt clips from U of Guelph in Ontario and they use heavy duck canvas #8 duck. You can instantly see the advantage over thinner material and they would last forever.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,469 Posts
Years ago someone posted a picture of a massive bee colony that was living in the brick wall of some industrial type building. Their single point of access was through a 3/4" or 1" metal tube/conduit that penetrated into the brick. At that point in time I quit worrying too much about what holes are in the box for them to use.

You know how "hot" it is in there? It's exactly the temperature it needs to be because that's what bees do. I have 4 or 5 deep colonies that also have honey supers on them who have the standard "big" hole of the entrance reducer open on the bottom and a small notch at the top (like yours pictured). And they do just fine and they make gobs of honey. When it's 90+ degrees like it has been here recently, I do go and put a small pebble under all of the lids (telescoping or migratory... I have both). But that's more for me than for anything else.

This was before I propped the tops. And admittedly the ones that also have a lot of honey supers DO beard less, I don't have any pictures of those. This was a few days ago. Nucs were all similarly bearding. It's what bees do when it's hot out. shrug I don't much worry about it here in Iowa. Now if you're talking the 115 degrees they had out in Oregon or whatever that was... totally different animal. There are far more important things to worry about. Honestly, I'd feel comfortable tossing a 2" piece of foam insulation on top of what you have pictured there and they'll winter like that just fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a double nuc which I just made up from a hive with 2 deeps. I do not have a telescoping cover for this one and am just using a top entrance board flipped over to seal things up.

How will this affect ventilation in summer? I imagine it's going to be crazy hot in there.

the nuc also has a circle hole for a mason jar in case you want to feed. I think MP just tapes these shut when not in use. I put a small piece of plywood over it so the bees cannot cross into the other nuc. 1. But this has me wondering how in the world these bees are going to keep the hive ventilated with the only opening being the small one on the bottom?

2. My other double nuc(not pictured) is much stronger and has no inner covers just the telescoping cover. Is that Okay?

View attachment 64815
You mention that you don't have a telescoping top for "this one". Just want to make sure you know that a regular 10 frame top will fit a MP 4x4 nuc.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
But what do you use on top of the canvas? Telescoping, migratory?
I thought the whole point of what kind of a cover is to keep the queens in the divided doubles separate? For this the canvas would be wonderful and you can just peel back one side at a time. After that concern is addressed, weather tight or insulating are the concerns IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts