Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first issue is a mixed on. Apparently the past week has been a big flow time and the girls are back-filling in most of the hives. No excluders, but several queens are short on space. They no longer are building comb fast enough to keep up with the flow. Gonna check a few more later and hopefully get a box worth of capped frames to spin out. The strong hives have 1/2 to 2/3 of most of the top box frames capped. Anything I can do to keep them from swarming in the meantime? I should add to this that I ran out of extra frames today on the ones I did expand into another box.

Other issue, A nuc I have was so full that they covered the top box I use to feed with mason jars and were building comb upwards. I expanded them, but can find the queen. Records show there should be on in there. Everything is being filled with honey. One frame had 3 queen cells on it that are near hatching. Do you suggest letting them hatch out in there or move to a three frame box to hatch out and wait to see if the queen is actually missing. Up to this point, I have had no known swarms. We have been expanding as needed weekly.

The queen I dropped when trying to marker her did not make it back to the hive. Thankfully she had laid some eggs before I bungled it and there were three frames with a few queen cells each. I'm going to go with the glass half full. I pulled five frames total to make up two mating nucs and filled in the original with new frames. Hopefully all three will get successfully requeened. Any chance that when I dropped her, she got into the hive above and the queens killed each other? The two hives are next to each other.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up question. How can I encourage the girls to attach foundationless comb to the sides of the frames?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts