Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learn a lot from the forum and appreciate those that share their experiences with everyone. I gather that most people have their colonies in the country. Mine (7 colonies) are in a town but a short flight time from field, woods and a river.

I do have challenges with neighbors and local government. I keep a fence around them (so curious walkers don’t wander in). A few jars of honey keep the neighborhood content. I find it interesting when I hear about certain bloom coming on and dearth’s starting. I get all the same bloom locally but never experienced a dearth. Local landscaping has bloom on all summer until golden rod starts. Many people no longer ‘weed and feed’ their grass so dandelion is plentiful in the spring and Dutch clover through mid summer.
There is not a lot of competition for forage since I am the only one with managed colonies in town.

All this to encourage other ‘townies’ to take up the hobby.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
........All this to encourage other ‘townies’ to take up the hobby.
Indeed, to the many surprised I also tell how many towns (mine included) have very good bee pastures.
Much better than many so-called country places that have nothing but soy and corn all way around to the horizon.

Potential draw-backs of town beekeeping - prohibitive regulations, negative neighbors, liability.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I live at the edge of a small town in semi-rural Illinois. I only have a few neighbors, and I would prefer they do not know, just for simplicity's sake. We do a lot of gardening in bee hats and veils, because of the plentiful small bloodsucking winged predators around. So I think everyone has seen us suited up, and thinks of it as our gardening gear. But if they do find out about the hives - I hope it's just a shrug.

I have two sets of in-laws that live in Chicago proper, with flowery gardens on site. I have seen lots of honeybees in one yard, so I know they are around. I keep trying to sell them on the idea. Municipal ordinances seem to allow the practice, but there is also a general "nuisance clause" which would probably come into play if neighbors objected.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I keep a hive in my back yard in a suburban neighborhood. When my new neighbors to the south moved in I asked them if it was Okay to keep bees there (I have a rural place I can easily relocate it to). At first they asked me to move it, but a day later one came over to say they had been watching the bees and noticed they didn't seem to be causing trouble, so no need to move it. No problems since then. I am very careful not to open the hives when anyone is visible in any direction. Fortunately these bees are very calm.
Like the post above, there doesn't seem to be much dearth in this sort of area. Huge variety of trees, shrubs and flowers.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am in a suburb with a lot of open space around me. I don't seem to have any problems with flows. I think the bees are going to the open space, but they are also in the fruit trees a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts