Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am sitting around watching my bee's thinking again lol

I was wondering, couldn't I simply take one of the top bar's from my top bar hive with the Popsicle stick guides, cut it to fit into my lang hive, place it between two frames with brood and allow the bee's to draw comb on it?

Would that be foundation less?

Also, couldn't I use whatever comb they would draw on the top bar and once big enough:s place it in my top bar swarm traps along with the lemon grass oil I'm using now to help better my chances in catching a swarm?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here I am sitting around watching my bee's thinking again lol

I was wondering, couldn't I simply take one of the top bar's from my top bar hive with the Popsicle stick guides, cut it to fit into my lang hive, place it between two frames with brood and allow the bee's to draw comb on it?

Would that be foundation less?

Also, couldn't I use whatever comb they would draw on the top bar and once big enough:s place it in my top bar swarm traps along with the lemon grass oil I'm using now to help better my chances in catching a swarm?
Hello Snookie:
I made my top bars 17"X1-1/4" and can convert them to use in my lang. I just screw a 1"X19"X3/8" piece of wood on top of it and I add ends and a bottom to make a deep frame. Right now I have 4 frames like this with honey from my top bar dead outs in the lang hives with my two packages I installed yesterday. I don't know if they will draw comb on it yet to fill it in, I have to wait and see.
Colino

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Snookie:
I made my top bars 17"X1-1/4" and can convert them to use in my lang. I just screw a 1"X19"X3/8" piece of wood on top of it and I add ends and a bottom to make a deep frame. Right now I have 4 frames like this with honey from my top bar dead outs in the lang hives with my two packages I installed yesterday. I don't know if they will draw comb on it yet to fill it in, I have to wait and see.
Colino
Groovy, please keep me posted on how it's going:}

I think I'm going cut some of my 24" top bars from my barrel hives that already have the guide's on them to fit my lang boxes and place it in the middle of the bottom brood box and give her a go:}

I'm hoping to get some feedback/experience on whether to try it or not

Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have an empty tbh...just got it. The top bar hive bars are 17" long and 1" at each end is the rest...thus 15" is the space for comb. I do have Lang hives. I was thinking of timing the the bars to a foundation less Lang frame and when it has a good start of comb removing it for the tbh. If I get a few bars partly drawn then perhaps I can shake in some bees from the langs and purchase a Queen.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an empty tbh...just got it. The top bar hive bars are 17" long and 1" at each end is the rest...thus 15" is the space for comb. I do have Lang hives. I was thinking of timing the the bars to a foundation less Lang frame and when it has a good start of comb removing it for the tbh. If I get a few bars partly drawn then perhaps I can shake in some bees from the langs and purchase a Queen.
That's my thoughts exactly...Please keep me posted on your progress

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts