Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So next year I was thinking I could try something different with one hive just to try.

The plan would be to run a hive with only one deep and have honey supers on top of that. In august I could pull the supers and put them in two 5 frame nucs and build them up to double nucs to overwinter. I figure it be somthing to try. You think this could work?

I am in ohio.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The standard way to do this would be to split a nuc off of your hive about the time they get to swarming strength. Let the nuc build up through the rest of the flow.

This way you don't lose a swarm (or swarms), you get honey (from the original hive) and you get another hive (from the nuc). Your way might work, but if they don't build up enough, you could lose them.

You can also just split a nuc off after the honey flow and let it build up. I have done both and think that the spring nuc method works better for me.

If you have a strong fall flow, your way might work. Someone in your area might weigh in here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Frank, we're close to each other. I'm 20 miles from Cincinnati just across the river in Lawrenceburg, IN. So, we'll have the same climate.

I'll be interested in hearing your success or failure. I want to run 2-4 hives and that's it... due to space. I'm concerned with the hives getting congested and swarming etc... and being rather new at this, I'm interested in hearing techniques that would allow me to properly split hives if only to keep them manageable.

Has anyone ever split hives just to draw out comb to have on hand? I have heard of people using swarms to do this... and then destroying, or combining the bees with another colony. Anyway, nice connecting.

Jason

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
The Honey Householder runs his bees in single deeps with a queen excluder over it here in Ohio also, so you shouldn't have any problems running a single deep.

When you split into two nucs, are you planning on buying a queen for one split, or letting the bees make a new queen?

I tried making some nucs at the end of July/beginning of August, and letting them make their own queens. They had a really hard time building up, and I have already lost 3/4 of the nucs I was letting make their own queens. Next year, I intend to make nucs and add a queen, (or ripe queen cell) rather than letting the nuc make their own.

Has anyone ever split hives just to draw out comb to have on hand? I have heard of people using swarms to do this

Yes, I have heard the comb producing hive called a comb factory. You constantly remove drawn comb and give them empty frames. The disruption bothers the bees and they often try to supercede, blaming the queen for the loss of combs.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I've found I have better success with summer splits if I start the process in first of June so I have new laying queens by first week of July, seems to give them more time to build up before years end, and I have better success with queens mating.
Ray, I agree, or sometimes I start the splits in early May, provided the weather is ok....the earliest for me has been the second week of April for my location...and that was only once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts