Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my package of bees on 4/19/14. Things have been looking good. Lot of foraging and activity. Yesterday I observed something I had not seen before. Several bees wandered out of the hive with their heads down, and their abdomens pulled up under them. They wandered around in circles and fell to the ground and eventually died what looked like a painful death. I did not get any pictures, but based on my description can anyone offer any information on what might be causing this? It does not seem right, but I am new at this. The other thing to note is that there is a farm that keeps corn fields near our property and they have been out the past couple of days with their huge sprayer/spreaders. I don't know what they are spraying/spreading but am going to try and find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hard to say, How many bees are you talking about. What is the activity like at entrance. Do you have entrance reduced.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say, How many bees are you talking about. What is the activity like at entrance. Do you have entrance reduced.
I took the entrance reducer off this morning. It is a metal mouse guard type reducer. There is a lot of activity at the entrance. A lot of pollen being brought in. I am seeing a few more bees today exhibit this same behavior. All told, probably 20-30 bees that I have witnessed. I know the population is getting old, but is the normal way they go? It looks painful. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure what it is but if it's only 30 and it doesn't get worse (ie hundreds) I would worry too much about it. Maybe they went to some plants that were sprayed somewhere?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts