Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i have a Nuc that I bought a few months ago. They still have not drawn out the 10 deeps, and as a matter of fact, they havent drawn but more than 6 frames. I thought the hive was a dink, and they must have thought so too as they decided to requeen. The new queen is laying gangbusters, but i am not happy with the old comb. Most comb turns brown after heavy use, this stuff is black. So i have to make a decision. Should i force them over into new comb on a meduim and shake them in, maybe give them 10 frames with some brood and get rid of the old comb? This stuff is black and i am wondering if this is why the 4 previous queens havent done better in it? ZThey have always maintained their numbers between queens, but never grown like they should, even on the flow....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Some plastic foundation is black in color to start out with, are you sure the foundation you have is not plastic? I have some black plastic I am trying for the first time this year, the bees are having no problems with it. I have black and white wax covered plastic mixed in the same colonies, the bees are having no problems with it.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is 1 plastic frame and cells, thats all and its the most used. the rest is foundation....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey devdog108,

"they havent drawn but more than 6 frames."

Is there a flow on in Georgia or are you feeding them? They will not make wax and draw comb out unless there is nectar or syrup available.
Unless the comb is contaminated where the bees will not use it they don't seem to mind using old comb.
I would not move them onto new wax, but if you have some drawn comb you can swap out an old frame of comb with a new frame of drawn comb and observe.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Ski, flow is over, but they were here for the main flow and still never did anything, again, the thinking was dink....because they should have drawn and worked a LOT more. I can make up a medium hive of all drawn fresh comb from all of the others I have. Its like they don't like it....just didnt know if it was prohibiting the queen and causing her not to lay as much....

·
Registered
575 Posts
devdog108,

IF you have second thoughts about old comb get rid of it, use it for swarm bait traps.

This is what I think I would do as a 12 hive beekeeper.
put them in a nuc box with 5 frames of old comb on the bottom and a second box with new comb so the queen can move up. Maybe they have too much space in the 10 frame.
Sounds like something fun to play with for a hobby beekeeper like me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts