Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like in the next 2 weeks Skaneateles is going to be over 40 and into the 50s several days thank God finally!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I certainly hope so. Everything is still covered in snow and ice. I’m headed south for about 10 days and I’m looking forward to a remarkable improvement on our return!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Im gonna play the odds and say no. I confess, I am a pessimist so don't let me bring you down from your fantasy. J

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
wave after wave of geese have been going over for the last two day's, all heading north, mother nature can't be wrong, it would be nice if the snow and ice would melt so I could drive instead of walking into my yards. Hives look fine, some of my over wintered nucs are a little light, got to hump in some honey back into my furthest yard tomorrow. and It's got to be getting better the dot had three trucks out filling pot holes, total of 9 guys, one shovel and no signs out about road work, nor did the flagmen have signs nor flags, we had a slight discussion when I came over the hill and almost wiped us all out :eek:t:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i checked all hives yesterday.
A few are pretty light on honey stores. I moved around a few frames here and there from the hives with excess stores and made sure everyone had winter patties on.
4 of the smaller nucs have died out and none of them had a drop of honey left and all bees deep in the cells so im assuming starvation. Saw no signs of mite fras.

I gotta get syrup on these hives but its not warm enough yet.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
According to two long range forcast models we’re looking pretty good for above average temps in the eastern half of the nation till the middle of April. I hope so, I’ve had my fill of it!

·
Registered
794 Posts
So I know a hive can starve out at any time. But when can you safely say they made it through the winter? When dandelions bloom? Checked both my hives today seem very active lots of bees. Still have winter patties left they haven’t finished.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I know a hive can starve out at any time. But when can you safely say they made it through the winter? When dandelions bloom? Checked both my hives today seem very active lots of bees. Still have winter patties left they haven’t finished.
im not happy til i see them bringing in plenty of pollen and nectar and brooding up...late april ish.

·
Registered
794 Posts
What kind of pollen would be available this time of year? didn't see ant of mine bringing any in. Maybe it's time for me to pout the pollen sub on?????

·
Registered
14 Posts
We see a fair amount of Skunk Cabbage here as well as Red Maple. The Crocus in the front yard is also blooming.

At our Finger Lakes Bee Club meeting Peter L Borst delivered a program on Plants for Bees. He shared this handout of when and what was blooming here in Central New York.

View attachment SCN_0010.pdf

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We see a fair amount of Skunk Cabbage here as well as Red Maple. The Crocus in the front yard is also blooming.

At our Finger Lakes Bee Club meeting Peter L Borst delivered a program on Plants for Bees. He shared this handout of when and what was blooming here in Central New York.

View attachment 46725
super cool! hope we get some pollen here soon!

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I think skunk cabbage pollen is white, so your bees are probably bringing in crocus pollen. Here the snow is finally melting and I can see the leaves of crocus and squill popping up. Maples are just starting to get that pink hue. I was able to move honey frames around. Lost the TF (2017) top bar experiment and another hive to ? Have to check last years notes.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
so have a question for the other NY beeks. I'm seeing something I have never seen before at least with the number of hives that I am seeing it in. I checked with a couple of friends of mine, they also use more than two deeps, and they are seeing the same things. For what ever reason, most all of my full size hives have moved the brood nest up into the top box, and even though my hives are extremely heavy, the second box in the few I checked are still pretty full of honey, they are up into the inner cover. The 3 deep nucs on the other hand are sitting pretty much in a normal configuration with the bees in the second nuc and working on the honey in the third box. I also didn't see any signs of brood in any of the hives I checked, but must admit I normally only check the ones that look to be in trouble. My buddy went down to the BB in his, and reported not finding any pollen in his hives. I was going around yesterday and will be today putting sugar on the inner cover's and ordering pollen substitute in.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts