·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks --

Looking for some direction here after reading:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/394053_honey30.asp

...about honey laundering.

So wholesale prices are around $1.60# and demand can't be met with domestic honey so packers go overseas to make up the difference.

Even with the tarrifs on Chinese honey it is still economically viable for packers to buy from overseas.

So far so good.

I would like to have 100 hives in 5 years as a sideline so I read these commercial posts and a common thread is that you guys don't seem to make much money at the end of the year when everything is counted.

If $1.60 per pound wholesale is too low for you to make any money and expand your operations to meet domestic need and shut out the BS Chinese honey, how low are packers buying bulk honey for for it to be worth it to the packers?

Doesn't it make sense that if the packers were buying it from you guys at, say, $2 and building in a three to five year contract for a year-over-year amount shipped from you, you guys -- the commercial beekeeping heavies -- would make more money to increase your operations as well as keep more in your pocket at the end of the year while at the same time marginalizing he Chinese?

I guess I'd like to spend some time with a big beekeeping operation to see the economics of it a little more.

Somebody tell me why we're not meeting our own country's demand for honey!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Very simple...GREED. SOME packersdont care what they sell, they buy as cheap as possable and have no regard to whether the beek makes a profit. THey could care less, some even cut honey with hfcs. Its all about how much THEY can profit...<snip> BIG BUSINESS could care less!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Check out the packaging/ Label

You will see the logo USDA Grade A honey ? what does that mean to the comsumer?

They assume it means its honey from the USA.

But as we are all aware, it means it meets the standard for grade a USDA honey and can be from anywhere, which means the cheapest source possible.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Its not that I am opposed to importing honey, but when they bring a govt subsidized product to the ports for less than half of what it costs us to produce thats where it becomes a problem.

From what Ive seen Argentina honey is a good product, light in color and good in flavor but thats because its honey. The "honey" from China is not real honey its more of a sugar syrup with pollen added to it.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I believe the Chinese honey was contaminated with Cloramphenicol, a very cheap anti-biotic commonly used in the third world to treat life threating illnesses. It is hard on one of the organs, liver, kidney? I think we have to look at intent here. I believe the Chinese had no intent of producing a safe product.
Yes, American beekeepers also use anti-biotics, and hopefully do so in a cautious manner. We intend to eat our own product.

I would also hope that discussions her would help us police ourselves, and encourage all to make as pure a product as possible.

This is a very touchy subject. I had the Local Fox station come out and interview me after Schumer claimed "honey is not safe". Be careful what you say in public, it can be easily twisted.

Roland

·
Registered
651 Posts
There are not enough beekeepers or managed hives for that matter in the country. The vast majority of honey produced is used for industrial purposes bread, cereal, etc. very little is used for table grade. Thats where China comes in importing honey for industrial application hence keeping the prices low. Even though honey prices are up there is still not allot of profit in honey production. More and more commercial beekeepers are turning to pollination its easy to just make up numbers and pollinate then manage beehives to produce honey. There are also not many people getting into this line of work the start up costs are just too high and the profit margin too low.If honey were to get to $2.00 to $2.50 a lb and diesel stays where it is you would probably see more honey being made.

·
Registered
185 Posts
<snip>
The chinese may very well, thru their own honey or the honeys their shipping from third party nations could very well cause profit harm to all of us by lowering consumer confidence in all of our products! We need to do true and important PSA's to the general public about whats really happening on this matter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts