Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I borrowed a buddy's extra table saw, it can take a 1/2" dado... So I'm looking at making some boxes and swarm traps.

Problem is compared to Mann Lake econo boxes at $10 each I'm having a hard time justify building boxes... Maybe tops, bottoms and various shim/platform ideas for using my mediums as swarm traps.

Do I just need to find a better source for pine or am I seeing normal prices... I'd probably save a buck or so per box, but that isn't worth the time. Obviously it would be higher quality vs the econo boxes, but I'm not sold on the value of that yet (haven't received my boxes yet as they are back ordered... Which I guess is one reason to build!)

Thoughts? What prices are you guys paying for pine?

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
If you want affordable hive materials, give up on the idea of getting them from big box stores. Depending where you are, local small mills (think portable mills) that cut local trees; free or very low priced "offcuts" from local manufacturers using wood for something else (remember, all boards in a 10 frame box are under 20"), and reclaimed/recycled lumber are options.

If you want to take advantage of the above, scrounge and hoard when you see cheap/free materials. Its a maxim that you won't be able to find them on the spur of the moment! :cool: I collect unwanted wood year-round and use it to build woodenware in the winter. The price that I pay is not cash, but an investment of time. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Pine from the big box stores is too costly to justify building boxes. I found a local source that sells cedar for less than HomeD wants for pine - cedar costs me $5/ medium box and I can reuse about all the scrap I generate- still that's hard to justify. I know some folks that go out your way to find cypress - I think a local mill will have your best prices.

Ordering 40 medium economy boxes from Mann Lake gets a price of $8.70 each (and no tax, shipping, or fuel). That's pretty hard to beat especially when you add in tool wear, electricity and time to the home made boxes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I make most of my boxes out of pine or cedar. the cedar comes from fence panels thatare damages in storms by falling trees. The pine boards i get 75% off i nthe cull lumber cart at one of teh big box stores. anything warped/cracked, or "bad" they sell at 75% off. It's not always the length i want, or the width i want, but for the price, it's hard to beat. I usually buy anything they have that 1X material. Sure, i might have to glue a couple of 1x6 together to make a deep, but I do this as a hobby, so I can afford to put more time into it than the more serious beekeepers.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just bought 200 board feet of 1" x10", and 1" x 7", pine for $0.90 a board foot at a mill about 1 1/2 hours away. I do need to plane it down to at least 7/8" to make the deeps and mediums, but that's not too much work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Rader>>>I collect unwanted wood year-round and use it to build woodenware in the winter. The price that I pay is not cash, but an investment of time.

This is the method I use as well. I just built 12 mediums for around $2 each, only paying for screws, glue, and paint. But, I still can't make myself use oops paint and odd colors.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Builders First source has 1x8s for .72 cent a board foot. I think they are a national company. 84 lumber also has decent prices. Home Depot and Lowes are way too high. I was thinking the same thing as you until I started shopping around. You may find a gold mind at a local saw mill. Unfortunately we don't have any close to us.

·
Registered
128 Posts
image.jpeg I cut a lot of storm damaged trees and when I find nice logs I use my Alaskan set-up to make some lumber. It is not free, but pretty cheap. 20" wide 10' long ash. Buying at my local box store does not work.
Saraanddad3sm.jpg

Wow, I wonder how I got my daughter to help! :applause:

Like a lot of projects, building boxes is only worth it if you find it fun or entertaining. In the winter, it keeps me out from in front of the TV!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I buy #3 pine from lumber #84, they arn't the nicest looking boards, but with a little sorting you can find keepers $0.59 a foot. Costs be about $4.25 a deep box painted. Time will tell how the lumber holds up over the years. So far im more than pleased at 4 boxes for the price of 1.

As others have said stear clear of big box stores, look for scrap, used lumber, or mills. From mills you can get rough cut pretty cheap, to mill it usually not cost effective, make sure you get kiln or solar dried. Stear away from green wood.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My cypress boxes cost roughly 2.5 - 3 bucks per box for mediums. But there is labor/heartburn in making them yourself.

If I was buying in bulk, I probably wouldn't go through the trouble.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Gilligan;1055088 Problem is compared to Mann Lake econo boxes at $10 each I'm having a hard time justify building boxes... Maybe tops said:
Gilligan, are you including shipping? Because for me shipping is a killer. Beemaid wants $11.25 a box unpainted and unassembled for $414.00, plus tax $20.70, plus shipping $326.78 for a total of $777.82. Include frames for $296.00 plus tax $24.32 , plus freight $190.00 and my total cost for 36 would cost me $1288.32 or once the smoke clears $36.00 a box unpainted and unassembled. For my 36 boxes I built with scavenged lumber it cost me around a hundred dollars,(if I don't include my Long Lang, KTBH and swarm traps), or 2.80 a box assembled and painted with frames. This is ordering from a company 5 hours away, I can't imagine what it would cost me ordering from Mann Lake.

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
> mann lake pays shipping most orders over $100

Mann Lake free shipping offer applies only to the lower 48 states. Colino is in Canada, no free shipping for him!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts