Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning out the attic I found the receipt for my first package of bees. 3/26/1959 from A. I. Root.
2 pound package with a queen and shipping.
Want to guess what the total was? A bit less than now.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
'59 was the year my parents got married, I came along a year later. Having nothing but intuition to base this on, my guess would be around $7. Interested to see what other responses will be before the big reveal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My first package in 1966 cost $8.00 ppd to my door via us postal service. I would guess about $6.00 in '59 ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'll play, how about 5.99?

What do I win? :banana::banana:

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Single 2# pack delivered. $6.50

·
Registered
46 Posts
Let me think...average house prices in Sydney were $10,900 for a 1/4 acre block within 30 minute commute and the average household had a single income of $5,016.

Today the average house price is around $1.2 million, the average block is around 300m2 a 71 minute commute, and the average wage is a little over $68,000. I also need to factor in that now on average two people in the household work full time rather than just one person.

So, based on my calculations, I am guessing $2.51 and a chicken.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
I say 2.00. (no chicken) I can remember getting candy at the local drug store for a nickel, rolls of red licorice, Bonomo turkish taffy, and penny candy. Deb

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I say 2.00. (no chicken) I can remember getting candy at the local drug store for a nickel, rolls of red licorice, Bonomo turkish taffy, and penny candy. Deb
I am afraid an awful lot of us remember that a five and dime really sold stuff for a nickel and a dime (or less, like the penny candy). Nowadays, even in the dollar store, it is hard to find stuff for less than $1. And that is my .02.

As far as the chicken, didn't FDR promise us all one?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I wasn't quite a year old then, about 4 months shy. My guess is....................................$3.00

1 - 20 of 31 Posts