Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or ....How much 2:1 syrup does 1 liter of water and a 2 kilogram bag of sugar make?

Conclusion: if I pay about .25 cents for 1 pound if sugar it costs me $62 to buy the sugar for a barrel of 2:1 syrup. Retailers are offering a barrel of 2:1 for $250.

Sorry about the metric numbers. I'll convert later in the post. I was trying to cost the savings for making my own syrup versus buying a drum of premix. Spent a morning trying to find a way to calculate how much syrup I end up with from 1 liter of water (1kilogram) and 2 kilograms of sugar but ended up getting a measuring cup and making up some. Using I liter (1kilogram) of water and two kilograms of white sugar (4.4 pounds and on sale for .50 cents per kilogram) I save $188 by making it myself. A barrel costs $250 canadian and is 200 liters. I pay $1.00 on sale for 4.4 pounds of white sugar. Time is the only thing I save by buying premix. HFCS us not available here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How much?

Sorry I realized I neglected to say that 1liter of water and 2 kilos of sugar makes 2.3 liters of 2:1 syrup. In U.S. weights 1 quart of water (2 pounds) and 4 pounds of sugar makes 2.3 quarts of 2:1 syrup.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
I would like to hear details about where you can get the sugar at that price. What is available to me would put the price much higher. I have seen some loss leader prices quite cheap but there are limits per customer.

I did not see the exact details but last season my son and a friend bought a tote from a farm feed producing establishment in eastern Ontario. They considered the price worth the labor savings.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
It's actually pretty simple Fishrguy. A mix of 2 to 1 is 2 parts sugar, 1 part water.

A 200 liter drum will actually weigh around 300 kg's, because the sugar molecules fit between the water molecules and the mix is denser. (Yes metrics make calculating this stuff easier).

So the 200 liter drum will contain 100 litres of water and 200 kg's sugar (approximately).

We convert your 25 cents per pound to cents per kilo by multipying by 2.2. 25 cents per pound becomes 55 cents per kilo (approximately again).

The 200 kilos of sugar in the drum x's .55 cents costs $110.00, so mixing yourself saves $140.00.

Have used rounded numbers, but the saving is definately there, assuming sugar at 55 cents per kg. Over here anyway, sugar is priced quite a bit more than that, about 50% more.

If mixing 200 liters yourself I would strongly advise using a pump or powered stirrer, rather than muscle power. Don't ask me how I know that :rolleyes:.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts