Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a bit early to think about winter wraps but have been thinking about this for awhile now and figured it doesn't hurt to ask. I have thought about buying some black corrugated plastic and then bending it to fit around a hive body and then gluing velcro or something else to secure the wrap in place where the two ends come together. Last year I used tar-paper as a wrap but getting it secured took a fair amount of time and was only good for a year. The black corrugated plastic should last several years and still allow the black color to absorb heat and transfer the heat to the colony. Anyone ever tried somthing like this. There would still be both a top and bottom entrance so the bees could get in and out. Unsure of the thickness that would be ideal whether 3, 4, 5, or 6 mm would be best or something thicker would be required, currently, I leaning toward thinner as better. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
We still used some corrugated black plastic wraps that where available years ago. They seem to work as well as cardboards boxes, no perceived difference. Also came in clear, again, no difference noted.

Roland

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I recycle those pesky political signs for similar uses. We just had a primary this week. Finding the signs was like picking flowers in spring... they were everywhere! Many are cardboard, but a lot of them are corrugated plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts