Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the trail of correspondence. I finally received another message from her.

'Hey Jim!
My mother is visiting us from Kansas. She is a smoker & about an hour ago she was in our backyard smoking when she was attacked by some bees. :( it was just like last time...they were diving at her. I'm not sure if u were messing with them again, or why they were mad!?! Is there any way to resolve this? Is there something that we can keep in our back yard to keep them away?

Please let us know!

***** & *********

'********* I am in Galveston and the bees are not even real active, yet. Never heard of them bothering any smoker. Let me ask someone about that.

How many bees?'

'********* what is your phone number?

Did just a single bee come check her out or what?

They avoid or are calmed by smoke so the cig. doesn't make sense. How about perfume or a new perm? Sweet smells might interest them until the flowers become available, but that would mean one would fly up a depart unless someone went to swinging at it.

Are you sure it was honey bees? Mine haven't bothered any other neighbor or me eve when I mess with them, except for that one time and they're more protective late in the year when there numbers are high and honey is in store. Please give me more info on what happened. You can call if you want: 806-679-1905.

'********, you asked about how to keep bees away. Honey bees should only come to your yard for flowers, water (dog water, swimming pool), or perhaps other sweet smells. For these they are not aggressive at all. I offer water and the lake is down the hill so I wouldn't think many would come to your water sources. The other neighbors love their presence in their gardens and work right among the feeding bees. Be careful about Leaving out coke cans and other sweets, particularly until flowers get going.

Believe me I'm sympathetic and we'll watch this deal.

'Be sure if a bee or wasp comes around to not go into panic mode. First be still. If it doesn't go away, walk away. A curious wasp or bee can go defensive quick if you go to swinging at it, but not usually.

'So sorry it's taken me awhile to get back with u..been super busy!

K...first of all, on that particular day it was 65 degrees, so it was rather nice ouside. My mom is a very outdoorsy person. She is always working in the yard, flowerbeds, etc. Bees don't even bother her. I am the freak about it, lol! Anyways she said there were for sure 2 bees, possibly 3. At first, she thought it was a fly when she heard the buzzing. Then, they started hitting her head & at that point she swatted at them til she could get inside. She wasn't upset at all - just a little shocked & didn't quite understand why!!?! I then, went to the door and was watching two of them, for sure honeybees, darting around the patio. Jesse did say that when he came home for lunch that there were some bees out by our garage....they didn't bother him tho.

We have not spent much time outside due to the weather so there are no coke cans, candy wrappers, trash, etc. Please don't take this wrong because we don't mind the bees at all we are just looking for a solution. I can't lie tho, I am nervous about letting the kids play outside because of these two incidents! They both have allergies & we do have epi pens, but don't necessarily want to use them. :) We are very active in the summer in our back yard...cookouts, bday parties, etc.....we want more than anything to keep it that way.

Please let us know if there is something else we can do! Feel free to call us anytime!

'Thanks for responding, *********. Given every said above, I don't know of anything .

I am going to try to requeen the hives that came from wild hives. In other words, try to keep "nice" genetics. I, of course, can't control the wild hives in the neighborhood. There are bee hives to the west and honey bees used our neighborhood before mine. I see honey bees working flowers no matter where I go. They are everywhere.

If I get the queens I'll let you know what afternoon. It will probably be a Friday. I have every other Friday off, now.

'Steph,
Just to be sure. Watch for bees entering and leaving a hole in the area of your back porch or garage. Just to be sure.... It would be a warm day, of course. (as per KQ6AR)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Jim,
Just a thought, maybe an undesirable swarm moved into their garage, or somewhere else near the back patio.

It does sound funny they where head butting her.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered that, too. I shot her a message and added it above.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Are Carpenter bees in your area? In the spring around here, people get freaked out by them as they play after you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry, I am not sure. They probably are.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hard to do this so far away via "bee-mail."

If it were my situation, I might do a "walk around" their yard, with permission. Maybe sit outside with Mom at the same time of day she got buzzed. Light up a cig. Is there another hive, wasp nest, carp bees somewhere else? Maybe a walk around might give you an idea of why the bees insist on bugging Mom.

Between us, I have a hard time believing their side of the story. Call me biased, but I'd try and work out a helpful solution.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, much. We'll see where this goes.

I will try to take a look around their place. Jim

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
First, I would be thankful for neighbors like that, they sound pretty good about the whole thing.

Second, it sounds just like what I went through when mine were near my buddy's tomato patch. He'd get out of his truck and one or two would be head butting him. He started wearing a different hat and said it worked like magic. I moved the hives further away the next spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts