Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the inexpensive corrigated Nuc's?? They are only $9.00 vs $20.00 for a wood one.

Any advantage to either?

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
The corregated nuc box was not designed with longevity in mind. If you get a month's use out of it, you're doing better than expected. The boxes I had made were used for splits and shipping. If you are thinking long-term, you should go with wood.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
They are great for some things and poor for others.

If you want to transport a swarm pick-up, they are great. They are light, easy to close up, no bottom to slip off of, and the frames do not swing in the box.

For temporary housing they are ok.

If you want durrability in the yard, you are wasting your money. Even being wax coated they do not stand up to rain very well, covering will extend the life of the NUC(leus) box.

Curley says "Nuk, nuk, nuk!"

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>$9.00

Sounds a bit expensive. I pay 3$ canadian for mine.
They are very handy to have during the first couple of spring rounds to make splits into. They are light, inexpensive, compact, and will act as a temerary nuc for a week or so if needbe.
I will never use the wooden cumbersome nucs for splitting purposes again,..

Ian

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I'll check back with you on the price but I'm sure it is 3$. Actually I know that for a fact, otherwise I would never have bought them because I am soo cheap.\ Spend $9 US >>whats that Canadian,? must be at least 12-13$, with our dollar rising<< when I can get a super for 10$ Canadian

Ian

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I buy three different kinds:

Bare cardboard (from MDA)
Waxed cardboard (from Dadant)
Plastic "cardboard" (from MDA)

The prices go up as you go. I don't remember the exact prices now.

Uses:

Bare cardboard - temporary place to put honey to haul home, or bees to move somewhere else. Won't stand up to the weather and the bees will chew it up.

Waxed cardboard - you can use this outside, but a year of weather and it starts looking a bit grim. I use them for bait hives and all the things you use the bare cardboard ones for.

Plastic "cardboard - These actually stand up very well in the weather for several years. They blow away if you don't weigh them down and they don't hold their shape as well as the cardbard. In other words the material isn't as stiff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts