Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bee question. I bought some Megabee and it says to mix with “fructose corn syrup”. Is the stuff that you can buy at the supermarket OK? Any special things to look out for? I don’t want to make a simple error like beet sugar vs cane sugar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a bee question. I bought some Megabee and it says to mix with “fructose corn syrup”. Is the stuff that you can buy at the supermarket OK? Any special things to look out for? I don’t want to make a simple error like beet sugar vs cane sugar.
The stuff you can buy at the supermarket is NOT okay. You need fructose corn syrup, which is typically not found at your garden variety grocery store. You can just mix up Megabee with 2:1 or 5:3 sugar syrup and get the same result.

And there is no "error" between beet sugar or cane sugar. They're both sugar, and your bees can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It is perhaps better to mix it with syrup made from pure cane (not beet) sugar than from corn syrup. Many have tried to save money using HFCS, and many have decided that cane sugar is worth the extra cost, hands down. Bees can get by in a pinch with corn syrup, but they thrive better when fed cane sugar.

I notice that the more years experience the beekeeper has, the more emphatic his opinion is on this subject. Not my opinion, but I'm just passing along what the veterans have been telling me. Several say beet sugar makes them sick. I suppose a steady diet of it and nothing else may be the culprit, but I just feed mine cane sugar + HBH + honey + Nosevit, along with Tucson Diet pollen substitute. They do increase from this mix.

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

"Corn syrup", for example commonly found in the grocery store, Karo Corn Syrup, is significantly different than "HFCS" (High Fructose Corn Syrup).
What is high fructose corn syrup and how is it different from regular corn syrup?
High fructose corn syrup starts with regular corn syrup (glucose only), which is modified by further processing and treated with enzymes to break it into two different forms of sweetness, fructose and glucose. In contrast, corn syrup is a sweetener derived from fresh corn picked and processed at its peak for flavor and sweetness. This is the ingredient in all Karo Corn Syrup products used for baking and sold in retail stores. .

http://www.karosyrup.com/faq.html
HFCS is generally not available as a consumer product, and not found in a grocery store except perhaps as an ingredient in other products.

2:1 (or higher) granulated sugar syrup (either beet or cane) is a perfectly good substitute for “fructose corn syrup” when mixing up Megabee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stuff you can buy at the supermarket is NOT okay. You need fructose corn syrup, which is typically not found at your garden variety grocery store. You can just mix up Megabee with 2:1 or 5:3 sugar syrup and get the same result.

And there is no "error" between beet sugar or cane sugar. They're both sugar, and your bees can't tell the difference.
Thank you. A simple question to follow up - If I mix 2 cups of cane sugar to 1 cup water and use this as the "syrup", is that adequate? The MegaBee seems to be fairly clear about mixing 1 part MegaBee powder to 1.5 parts syrup by weight. So is your 2:1 or 5:3 by volume or weight? Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is perhaps better to mix it with syrup made from pure cane (not beet) sugar than from corn syrup. Many have tried to save money using HFCS, and many have decided that cane sugar is worth the extra cost, hands down. Bees can get by in a pinch with corn syrup, but they thrive better when fed cane sugar.

I notice that the more years experience the beekeeper has, the more emphatic his opinion is on this subject. Not my opinion, but I'm just passing along what the veterans have been telling me. Several say beet sugar makes them sick. I suppose a steady diet of it and nothing else may be the culprit, but I just feed mine cane sugar + HBH + honey + Nosevit, along with Tucson Diet pollen substitute. They do increase from this mix.
We recently attended a newbie (new bee) class and the speaker was emphatic about not using the beet sugar. KC, can you give us your recipe for sugar + HBH + honey + Nosevit + MegaBee?. We are expecting three packages soon and want to be ready to give them all they need to thrive.

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts
Syrup mixing ratios are technically by weight, so 2:1 is 5 lbs of sugar to 2.5 lbs of water. But for this purpose, water is effectively 8 lbs per gallon, so you could mix 5 lbs of sugar with 1 quart + 1 cup of water to get 2:1 syrup.

The speaker at that class may be sincere in his belief, but there is no practical difference between beet and cane granulated sugar. The link below is part of the sugar industry, but they sell sugar manufactured from both cane and beets:

And, both cane sugar and beet sugar are refined until they are 99.9%+ sucrose. While the impurities and minerals in cane sugar and beet sugar can differ slightly, the fact is those impurity levels are so low (<0.1%) there is almost no functional or sensorial difference between sugar that comes from cane or beet. Once they are refined to sucrose, they are typically interchangeable.

http://www.cargillfoods.com/na/en/p...ar/market-knowledge/beet-cane-sugar/index.jsp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts