Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 40 or 50 pine bottom boards that I thought I would try using this stuff on. Rather than paint the whole thing I just dipped all 3 sides. Question is I did this about a month ago and they all still have an odor, not a strong odor but it is there. So anybody that has used this or any other wood treatment, does the odor ever go away and how long do you let it air before using it?

Before I get all the comments about how awful it is, my future BBs will be made of Cedar.
Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
A friend of mine uses that stuff, and he gets busy applying it to his equipment in the summer and that equipment air dries until the following spring before he uses it. To me it still smells a little.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Just let it dry for a week or so. I used to use the stuff before it got too expensive (the mineral spirits to mix it with) and dipped all our hive and super bodies before painting them. We let them dry a couple days, painted them and when the paint was dry put them on the bees. Never any problem. I know beekeepers now who dip them, let them dry a few days and use them. And yes, the odor will eventually go away.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We used to buy 55 gal. drums of mineral spirits and copper napthenate. Had a large fiberglass vat filled with the mix (mix was 3 parts MS/1part CN). Dropped whole pallets of unassembled boxes into the vat and left them for several hours. Pulled them out, separated the pieces and let dry before assembling. That was 12-15 years ago and many of those boxes are still in use by the folks who bought us out. Boxes don't last long in FL with our humidity and daily T-storms unless you protect them. Painted boxes are only good for 3-5 years and then the corners start rotting. :D

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I treated my pallet bottom boards with the stuff. I was afraid of treating the hive side of the bottom board, that stuff cant be good for the bees. If they are walking on it, it will get in the wax.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>Boxes don't last long in FL with our humidity and daily T-storms unless you protect them. Painted boxes are only good for 3-5 years and then the corners start rotting.

I can understand that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts