Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some copper naphthenate to treat the underside of my pallet boards and I noticed beside it on the self zinc naphthenate for half the price. The direction lableing is almost identical with use information and warnings.

Whats the difference between these two products, and could I use zinc naphthenate on underside of my pallet boards?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

couldnt bring up the whole document though,

In a nut shel Ernie, how is it possible this stuff is harmless to the bees? It is pretty harsh stuff,

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I read that also,
I plan to mainly use this treatment on the underside of my pallet boards,

So, just to comment.

I hear of fellow dipping honey supers,? Is that right or am I mis understanding what they are doing. Perhaps they are painting it on the outside

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I know several comm beeks here in FL that dip everything boxes, supers, bottoms and lids in CN, been doing it that way for years and they see no problems with the bees. They do not paint either, just dip them. Im still painting everything but considering dipping my SBB's this year they are kind of a pain to paint.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
peacekeeperapiaries, you mentioned you dont currently dip your boxes in CN, but your considering it.
why are you not worried about the copper contamination in your honey by dipping your bee boxes?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ian I am not considering dipping my boxes although years ago we did dip them... and painted them...again like many others we saw no negative affects. I said that I am considering dipping ONLY my screen bottom boards, they are a pain to paint although we have changed our design on our latest SBB's which might make it easier to paint them. I am not aware of anyone currently using CN to dip boxes, lids, and bottoms (no paint) that have been concerned about contamination and know at least one who sells retail, are licensed/inspected, and required to submit honey for testing on a regular basis. I'm still on the fence and at this time only considering dipping the bottom boards. Like many others we are experiencing problems and difficulties within the hives we cannot contribute to one thing or anything for that matter (the mysteries continue)...so I am apprehensive to add CN to my arsenal. I will continue to research the facts and talk to others using CN.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Today I had a guy tell me his employer is mixing copper napthenate with syrup for mite control. Never heard of this.
I know a man that was feeding copper to his bees and selling it by the case to other bee keeepers.
It turned out to be of no real use to control the varroa and was discontinude.
Now. feeding copper napthenate is another story.
Here's his sign as Larry the cable guy would say or Jeff foxworthy.
Ernie

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ian, Im glad you posted the topic the info gave me some food for thought. As stated Im still on the fence, we will see. :)

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now, I was talking to a fellow, and he claims the naphthenate comes from a chemical called naphthalene, a substance secreted by termites,?

Any comments?

Just did a search on Naphthalene, wow, I had no idea it was so widely used in so many things

1 - 19 of 19 Posts