Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a cold time to think about it... :) but have any of you used the cooling vests with ice packs under your beesuit in the summer. It gets so hot and humid here that I am considering buying one of the vest with ice packs or phase cooling... the phase cooling ones are more expensive... any opinions ?

thanks
charlotte

·
Registered
723 Posts
Wow...never heard of these. Please post some pics or links. I'd love to get one too.

Btw...Spent my childhood living in Pickens. Great community! Still stay in touch with some folks there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, Pickens is a neat place... I'm uptown now ! Well if we have an uptown !

There are 3 types of cooling vests that I know of...
evaporative (you wet them and they cool you- not good in humid location - cheaper but feel wet against your body)

cool packs (vest has pocket that hold special ice type pack close to your core) cools best of the 3 - but you have to have access to a freezer to recharge the packs every 3 or 4 hours

Phase cooling packs (some type of special "ice" Packs that recharge in ice water in 30 minutes or so- dont feel wet against your body - very expensive !)

I'm most interested in the one that using the cool packs as I do have access to a freezer to "recool" them. These can be had for about $100 but the Phase cooling vests are about $200. Alot of dough... I know but I have all my bees in full sun and I got waaay too hot last year working them. If these work they will be well worth the money.. I just wondered if any other beekeepers had experience with them ?

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Have you looked into the Ultra Breeze cooling vest? I've heard lots of satisfied beekeepers use them.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Gemplers at gemplers.com has several examples of them. There are cool pads to put on the back of your neck. Head bands as well. I am thinking about using these too. Probably any place that deals with workwear or safety equipement will have them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've not used them, but a few years ago my daughter was the mascot for her high school. Imagine 100 degrees in August and your cheering at a football game in a full fur bulldogs outfit. She used the vest with the ice packs. We used the blue jell packs which stayed frozen much longer. They worked great for her.

·
Registered
415 Posts
stacoolvest.com/
polarproducts.com/bodycoolingsystems.html
glaciertek.com/
coolsport.net/index2.html

And my personal favorite=

steelevest.com/?page=Industrial_L.htm

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Ventilated jacket or suit. Check out MagnetMan's gear, I'd need a IV hydration for cutouts without it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts