Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this http://www.gabees.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=33_60&products_id=168 cover. I want to set it up for top entrance. There is a 1/2" "lip" that hangs down the front of the hive. If i put shims on it to raise it do I need to raise the lip above the top of the hive so the bees can just fly in? If the lip does not go above the top of the hive do the bees just land on the hive and crawl up and in? How high should the opening be? If I use some sort of "peg" to set the cover on does the open space on the sides cause problems? Do i still need an entrance reducer for the top to make a narrow opening?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
You could add the shims on each "end". This would open up the long side as the top entrance. Strips of wood could be inserted if you want to choke down the entrance size.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Would turning the hive so the long side is on the south side (with bottom entrance closed), with a couple of framing shims under your migratory cover work as a top entrance?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you're talking about framing shims that are used ot plub a door when it's hung, no.
The shims are too short, and leave gaps halfway back on the edges big enough to allow robbing

Shims cut from shingles would work, though.

The bees don't care if the entrance is on the long side or short side of the box.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Would turning the hive so the long side is on the south side (with bottom entrance closed), with a couple of framing shims under your migratory cover work as a top entrance?
I have several hives with the top entrance on the long side of the box, facing SE. It works just fine. During periods of robbing or over winter I tack on strips of wood so there is only about a 1" opening.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the input. I have several ideas on how to convert the cover but I am still unsure of how much space to give them. I noticed from several of the pics that were referenced that the opening appears to be all the way open (no reducer) but how large is the gap?

Thanks again

·
Registered
219 Posts
I nail a 3/8 x 3/4 strip of wood around the edge of the cover and leave a six inch gap on one side.
I only have a six inch gap because I leave the bottom entrance also. If you only have the top I would say leave at least a foot gap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i nail a 3/8 x 3/4 strip of wood around the edge of the cover and leave a six inch gap on one side.
I only have a six inch gap because i leave the bottom entrance also. If you only have the top i would say leave at least a foot gap.
3/8 w x 3/4 t?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have installed an upper entrance on my hive, using shingle shims. It is full width on the front. I still have the lower entrance, set for the smallest opening. Primary reason is to increase ventilation during the hot Texas summer, but would also like to convert to top only entrance eventually. However, the bees do not seem to care and continue to cluster around the small lower entrance, with none using the upper.

Do I have to close or screen the lower entrance to induce them to use the upper? I am using a telescoping cover with the inner cover.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts