Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 7 year beek...I run ALL medium frames (brood to supers). I need to rebuild this year. I need to place an order soon. I've got a great supplier (at a good price), but only has 5-frame nucs in DEEPS. I really don't want to expand my hardware out to deep brood chambers just to take on these nucs. Any ideas? (I'm thinking that trying to cut and tie these deep frames into mediums would be too traumatic...on them and me, but maybe others have done successfully?) Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The easiest way is to stack two mediun boxes and put 5 of your drawn medium frames in each. Set the five deep frames from the nuc in the top box and let them hang down. Rotate the deep frames out by moving them to the outside positions one at a time, wait for any brood to emerge and then remove the frame. Slide the remaining deeps over and and fill the gap with two more medium frames, one in each box.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Or the harder way LOL, from what you say it sounds like we are talking wood and wax frames?

If so shake all the bees off the frame and run over a sawbench to cut down to the right depth. Then remove the bottom bar from the bit you cut off and re nail to the now reduced size frame. If you do not own a bench saw, just hand saw the end bars and cut the comb with a knife.

When setting the size for the cut, make sure to factor in that you will be nailing on a bottom bar.

If plastic frames, just cut to the desired depth, that's it.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
shake all the bees off the frame and run over a sawbench to cut down to the right depth. Then remove the bottom bar from the bit you cut off and re nail to the now reduced size frame.
And that is supposed to be less traumatic to the bees than simply cutting the foundation out of the frame, cutting the bottom 3" off, and rubber banding back into a medium? (he askes with a sly grin on his face).

Plenty of ways to skin this cat.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
None are traumatic to the bees long as it's done after the bees are shaken off the frame.

Just, cutting the bottom off, the rest of the comb is still attached to the frame plus wired so in my view a better option than cut and paste.

But it's a suggestion, he can take or leave, your way is totally fine also. No worries. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
OT, you know I am messin with ya? Cutting the frames down, sans bees is just as good as anything I could come up with. I probably wouldn't even bother with trying to reattach the bottom bars. Michael brings up a good point. Certainly there is someone selling medium nucs in the OP's area. I will make them if someone in our bee club requests them. There is plenty of time for his supplier to make nucs in mediums, especially if a deposit is placed on the order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts