Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I lost one of my three hives early this year, I was paranoid about losing another one with the cold weather. I have two packages coming from Kelley's April 5, but I believe at this point I only need one. One package will go in my vacant 8 frame deep with drawn comb and lots of honey and pollen. What are everyone's thoughts on putting a three pound package in a five frame nuc (drawn comb) for the balance of April. My logic is I could move the five frames to a full hive in early May or sell a nuc with plenty of brood and resources, as I want a three hive base and make new nucs from splits to avoid potential swarms. So is a month long enough to build up a five frame nuc, where the new owner is not getting a bad deal? Early April to early May is warm in Indiana with a pretty decent flow. I will be feeding the nuc also. Give me some thoughts.

·
Registered
647 Posts
a 3 pound will easily fit in a 5 frame but just keep a eye on them so they dont out grow it and swarm expecially if you are feeding

·
Registered
276 Posts
i'd give them an empty frame to work on also. The young bees will want someplace to put their wax.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. As long as it is not raining too much, they should be able to start a decent brood etc. One empty frame makes sence to me as well.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I would give the package three empty combs to work on. Filling them with syrup wouldn't hurt. Keep a little syrup on them and with your available pollen you could be adding a second nuc box before you wanted to sell the nuc.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Be careful where you place the nuc. Package bees tend to be pretty confused and have no loyalty. If the nuc were directly next to an established hive you may lose many bees, drawn to the brood and laying queen pheromones next door. Same thing with the package installed in the full sized hive.
Just a 'heads up'.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yup, there is probably some money in there if you really wanted to look for it.

Buy a package, stick it in a nuc box for a month or two, sell the nuc for profit.
I was thinking the same thing... I can get a 3lb package for $90 and 2 frame nucs sell for about $200 so double profit.... If you started from 5 empty frames how long would it take with feeding??? I used all extra drawn frames for swarm traps...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... I can get a 3lb package for $90 and 2 frame nucs sell for about $200 so double profit.... If you started from 5 empty frames how long would it take with feeding??? I used all extra drawn frames for swarm traps...
If you can mark them up that much I will gladly sell and deliver all the 2 framers you would like at $89.99. All you have to do is take the cash from those drunk $200 beekeepers and put one bill in your pocket and the other in mine.... We sell 5 framers for 110- 160. Give you 10 bucks for every leads that pays your 200.

·
Registered
887 Posts
if you put a package on four frames of drawn comb...and give them one frame to draw....with feed or a flow, I would say they would be considered a NUC at the hatching of the first new worker brood....by that time, you should have some stores, a laying queen, and brood in all three stages, and young workers.......that's what I call a NUC which should be around 24-30 days after hiving the package.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you can mark them up that much I will gladly sell and deliver all the 2 framers you would like at $89.99. All you have to do is take the cash from those drunk $200 beekeepers and put one bill in your pocket and the other in mine.... We sell 5 framers for 110- 160. Give you 10 bucks for every leads that pays your 200.
Check prices on craigslist for sf bayarea and Sacramento.... Marin bee sell 3 lb packages for 115......

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Regarding packages on Craigslist.... "Marin bee" is a reseller. Doubt the guy could raise 100 queens a week to save his soul. Ask him to raise the ones for your package order and I bet he hasn't raised 1000 in his lifetime.. Ever since the price of bees went up everyone and there brother is the new experts and sell packages they buy and resell. He's part of this crowd. Nothing wrong with that but if you ask them anything about the process of how they pick breeders or make up packages my quess is he will look like a deer facing eastbound 80 traffic on a Friday evening. Not a clue on what to say or where to go....

We raise our own queens and make up our own packages and nucs. My offer on 2 framers still stands...If you purchase 500 I'll up the offer and sell them to you at a $10 discount with the boxes included.

If you would like a copy of our Beeinformed data ( independent testing) showing the Breeders we will be using for our 2014 packages and nucs send me a Pm with your email address.

Glad to answer any question people have about them...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts