Votes: 2 33.3%
  • More?

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently spent the day with a novice working through their overwintered hives. It's a working farm and he's invested enough in equipment and bees that I know he's serious about succeeding. Now he wants to make it a regular working relationship, with me tending the hives and advising him, but I don't know what to charge him. An hourly rate? A weekly/monthly rate? I know they're not hard up for cash but I don't want to be disrespectful. Can anyone advise, or has anyone been in this situation before?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sit down with the guy and talk about it. He wants you as cheaply as possible, and you don't want to do his work for free.....try to meet in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
Definitely have the conversation. It's not always the most comfortable thing to do, for most, but things go south quickly when expectations aren't clarified and laid out. Come up with an hourly rate, or a flat rate per hive with hourly for additional work, and discuss it with them.

Not a bad idea to have it drawn up and signed by both parties as well.

Are you also harvesting honey for them? Who gets the honey? Who's harvesting? Who's equipment?

Try to cover all the bases and keep it simple, but fair.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
make sure you do not feel used, so ask for enough to cover expenses and have a few bucks for spending funds.

depending on what kind of farm he has maybe a 1/2 beef or a few bushels of apples on a barter would work.

any think he can help you with?

GG

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
The only hives I take care of, that aren't mine, are for a friend and it's purely on trade. He owns a 4x4 customization shop so I take care of his bees and he modifies or installs anything I can come up with for my truck.

It also helps he's less than a mile away. Otherwise it may not be worth it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
First, ask yourself if you really have the time. Dont want to get into this at any price if you can't follow through. Then it would have to be known that there may be losses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts