Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of folks just lift their hives and wrap cargo straps all the way around the hives. But I'd like a fairly cheap way to be able to connect the hooks on the straps to the bottom boards so I don't have to lift the hive. I tried 3/4" conduit clamps, but they give too easily. Considering turning them vertically, or perhaps dropping down to 1/2" clamps. Any other ideas that work?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
You don't have to lift the whole hive. Simply tilt it back by lifting the front of the hive. You don't even have to do that by hand. Use a fulcrum and lever.

Are you preparing to move your hive? If you want to keep a bottom board attached to a hive body why not use hive staples? If you do, properly, the bottom board has no chance of slipping as can happen w/ straps. Hive staples are about three inches wide and not something shot from a gun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm moving one hive about 30 feet, a few feet a day. But this was for future options, as I may be moving later this year and may need to transport all my hives.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Are you planning on strapping a double deep hive together, expecting none of the parts to shift? Or what? How many straps are you going to use? Once strapped together how are you going to move it?

How r u moving it now?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently I am moving a 5-frame hive, medium over deep. I just pick it up and move it a few feet, slowly turning it and moving it where I want it nearer my other hives. Mostly want to hold all 4 pieces together as I pick it up.

But if it were a bigger 8-frame hive, I'd probably use a 2-wheel dolly to move it, and straps to hold it all together. If I move this fall, I will use cargo straps and dolly to move them onto a trailer for transport to wherever I am going.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would install hive staples. No chance of slipping or separating during movement. They are cheap, and easy to install.

cchoganjr
I could, and that would hold the bottoms to the bottom hive body, but I was wanting to keep the stack all together, not just the BB.

I read somewhere that someone had used the conduit clamps, but the 3/4" ones I got are too thin, they are bending.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If you have the bottom board connected to the first deep hive body it is real easy to tilt the stack back and put the strap around the stack. With the bottom board secured, the strap will hold everything together during movement.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
My hive stands allow me to slide the strap under the hive without any lifting. I wouldn't trust any sort of attachment point with a full size hive. Just get a couple of cutoff landscape timbers to use as a temporary hive stand (or permanent one, that's what I use). Slide the strap through between the timbers and there you go.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright already, stop yelling at me. I get it, even if it took 4 or 5 of ya to make me re-think my strategy.

It's not THAT huge of a deal for me, slipping a strap under, cuz mine are on 2X4s on top of cinder blocks (I know, not very sexy). This until I figger exactly where my hives will end up for the long haul.

I wasn't really thinking of the stress of a tall hive, just about keeping the lids on and stack together while I moved them. Simple on a double-high nuc. Not so much on a 5-tall medium. Straps all around if it becomes necessary to move. Thanks for the insight fellas!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts