Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
News to those who are new to beekeeping, not to those who have been around for a while and pay attention to such things. ND and SD have been the leading honey producing states for decades, w/ FL just about the only eastern state regularly in the top ten.

NY got into the top ten some years ago when there was too much drought in the west and bumper crops in the east.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I better tell my Florida Bees to get to work, third thru 10th place sucks, I want to win :D. Good info, thanks and congrats once again to the Dakotas :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Supposedly, average Ohio hive produced 50 pounds of honey. This includes one beekeeping operation which produced almost 20% of Ohio's total crop. That beekeeper's average per hive was higher than the average hive production for any other state.

Management is everything. A good beekeeper can do good in a bad state. That one beekeeper increased Ohio's average hive production by 5 pounds a hive.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Another interesting stat: 50% of the honey produced in NA comes from the Dakotas and the three prairie provinces but they contain only 8% of the population.

And we're dumb enough to sell bulk and very little retail. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Just think of all the tonage that is not recorded each year. How many hobbiest report what they produce? Matter a fact how many comm. guys don't report there crop. I didn't report my 49 ton last year. Last year was a short crop and my APH was only 96 lbs. 2008 crop APH was 159 lb.
I alway thought that the Dakota APH was high then what they have reported.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts