Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With cut outs and different procedures is it wrong to fill a bottom box with all brood and honey not leaving any room for the queen . Will she move up for more room to lay . In my last cutout we rubber banded 15 frames of comb and I put 10 frames on the bottom then the other five I checker boarded in the nest box up with new foundation and then a third box of new foundation on top , I don't have extra drawn comb yet . This cut out was huge , the comb was 4 ft. long with five rows and about 10'' in height , I'll try to post some pics later .Would it have been possible and better to put this big colony in two different hives and let the one raise a queen on there own .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Possible yes, better, I don't know. I think you did the right thing. You can always split later if necessary. Cutouts are traumatic on the bees and I've found on the ones I've done this year that I tend to lose bees as time goes on. Drift or death, I don't know. I never know if I have the queen until I let them settle for a few days and inspect. She's always harder to find if there isn't a lot of comb and I have a bunch of festooning bees. I always give them a frame of eggs from another hive in the event that she didn't make it.

It's just me, but I don't get thrilled at the prospect of them making a new queen. I always worry (probably unnecessarily) that I screwed up the eggs/larva in the process of cutting them out. Second, they've been through a lot already, and I don't want to make any unnecessary changes. Finally, and this is a big one, my biggest concern is that they will abscond. The first one I did this season was honeybound and queenless. When I got home and setup the hive, about half the bees clustered under a nearby queen right hive. It was a mess and I definitely ended up losing some to that hive. Having a queen (and brood) gives them a solid anchor.

If the population is good, you've given the nurse bees something to keep them busy rather than swarm. Might want to consider using foundationless as they'll draw it out quicker and more fully.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MG the population is huge so much I thought maybe they would be to crowded and I should have put them in two separate hives not sure, its my first cut out .I guess I better leave them alone for awhile and then check on them later and see if I got the queen , there was so much brood I wouldn't think it would be a problem for them to raise a queen . I noticed there there wasn't a big population of drones in the log .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts