Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a rookie question but I would like some opinions on this issue.

A week ago I noticed that one of my hives experienced a major slow down in traffic in and out of the hive. My first thought was they had swarmed. This hive was made up of from top to bottom (a standard 10 frame configuration) 2 shallows of drawn comb, 1 medium capped honey, 1 medium of 3 frames eggs and larvae pollen and open honey, 1 deep of 4 frames eggs and larvae pollen and open honey, on top of a medium of drawn comb. Plenty of room and the bees that were left were numerous but not young nurse bees as one might expect. My concern is that there was no capped brood! In my past experience when a hive swarms it usually will have plenty of capped brood? Could it be that they swarmed and the new queen just started laying? If this were the case I should have some nurse bees right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rest of the story.

I sat the medium and the deep on seperate bottom boards and placed a medium of stores on top of each last sunday 4-18.
I put the 2 drawn shallows over on a stronger hive so I would get some production out of them this spring.
I sat both of these (the split) hives a couple feet apart and both had an equal amount of bees, stores, eggs, and larvae. I checked them today and was able to locate the queen. All the girls went to the one with the queen.:thumbsup:

When I inspected the hive last week I did not see any sign of a hatched queen cell. I looked again today while putting it back together and did not see one either. It happens like that sometime.:scratch:

I put it all back together for splitting in July. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts