Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Confused NewBEE

748 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Litsinger
Hello all! I am very thankful to live in an area where I can have just about any kind of animal I want...well, within reason, I suppose. I have an established mixed flock of fifty chickens and five ducks, in addition to six horses, three cats and four dogs! So, then, I asked myself what better thing to add than a hive or two of bees? However, getting bees has proved to be a very confusing endeavor.

I had done a bit of research and since I’m not a young whipper snapper anymore, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to lift the full boxes of a Langstroth Hive, so I decided on a Top Bar Hive.

Fast forward from the planning and researching stage. We built our TBH and in no time received a small swarm that had set up camp at my husband’s work.

Despite all the research I’ve done, my bees have left me completely baffled. I have joined this forum in hopes all the knowledgeable folks can help straighten me, or my bees, out!

TBB (ThreeBrokeBees)
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Top bars are tricky. I started with 2 and regretted it almost immediately. If you're looking for some mentorship, I know the guys at beekeepingmadesimple.com offer help and are pretty responsive to their online students. Do you have a specific question we can help with? Do you live in a place with a cold winter? Overwintering a top bar is a little harder but can be done. Let me know if I can help.

Happy bees, happy beekeeper
TheHappyKeeper.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.