Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Italian Carniolan hybrid bees
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning y’all, I’m new to bee keeping and have a question hopefully I can get advice, suggestions and comments.

I ordered a pack of bees from “Fat and they should arrive in March.

My question is once I put them in their brood box should I close the entrance? They’ll have a top feed with syrup. I’ve read somewhere that it keeps them from swarming and promotes growth.

Does anyone do this or have experience with this?

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
Hi Ray,

I have never done the aforementioned lockdown , nor have I read it. So absolute no experience with it.

So how would the bees get water or go potty?

there are several threads here on BS about new packages, have a quick read before your bees come in, there will be some tips in there.

IF this is your first hive and you do not have Drawn comb with some stores, the "feeding" part is a great idea.

GG

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
I wouldn't close it up as there will be bees flying around that didn't make it in.
I would but a reducer on so they only have a very small space to enter and defend.
Do feed inside the hive ( like an extra hive box on top inside)
Also search videos on setting up a package of bees. Sometimes it is easier to watch to understand.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
490 Posts
If you are using equipment with a screened bottom board put the insert in place to close it off for a couple of days until the queen is released and laying. Leaving the screen open allows too much light and ventilation and may result in the bees leaving looking for a more suitable cavity. Of our club members that have packages leave the hive in the first couple days this has been the main issue.
Other than that reduce entrance and feed is good advice.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
As per the others, do not block them in, that is a very bad plan.

Screened bottom boards are also a bad idea when installing packages because some of the bees outside, not knowing how to get in, try to get in through the screen underneath, can't, and can end up dying there. So as per John Davis, if you have a screened bottom board, block the screen at least for the first few days, until the bees have learned where the front door is.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Good morning y’all, I’m new to bee keeping and have a question hopefully I can get advice, suggestions and comments.

My question is once I put them in their brood box should I close the entrance? They’ll have a top feed with syrup. I’ve read somewhere that it keeps them from swarming and promotes growth.

Thanks
Ray
If you put them in a new freshly painted box with no comb, chances are they may not like it. I hope you are putting them in Langstroth equipment as your chances for succeeding are demonstrably much better. Find someone you trust to sell you a frame of drawn comb as it will tend to anchor the bees in the shiny new box. I imagine Don would sell you one if you asked.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ray, you just got a boatload of great advice, use it. A frame with some comb is a BIG plus as it gives the queen space to lay immediately and that anchors the hive. Welcome to a great forum and good luck this season. Join a local bee club and get a mentor.

·
Registered
963 Posts

Thanks
Ray
I generally don't lock mine down, just reduce the entrance to about 1 inch opening. I wouldn't seal hive unless I catch a swarm and transport them. Open em up after dark or next morning. I'd use #8 hardware cloth then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts