Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should I set that up? I have a new package coming and I have 10 frames half-filled with honey that I want to give them instead of syrup. (EASIER!)

I have 6 built up comb frames for the brood box (I use all mediums) and 4 frames they would need to build up, either foundationless with a strip on the top of old comb, or build onto wax foundation frames.

I was thinking of installing the bees into the brood box, setting the queen cage in there, then putting the honey super on top for them. But then I have to go in in a couple days and check the queen and take her cage out, so I'd have to remove that honey super, and then put it back on, which is fine, but I don't know if that's too disruptive on day #3.

My other thought is to also stick a frame of brood in there to give them a quick start. This package is a little late arriving. Is giving a new package a frame of brood ever recommended?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Set it up like the bees normally would..... Put your honey/pollen frames to the outside (1,2,3, 8,9,10) and the empty frames (preferably drawn out) in the middle after you install the package..... Don't think you need a frame of brood but if you want to do that I would wait until the package accepts the queen and then put it in the middle.....

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'll put the honey frames on the outsides in both mediums then, and leave the insides of both boxes for the queen to lay. That makes sense. I'll hold off on the brood frame, I want to make a split soon anyway, I'll save the brood for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts