Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this trap on now for 2 1/2 weeks and I would say that 95% of the activity is going in and out of my hive, 5% of the activity when watching for 30 minuites is 10 or 15 bees trying to get back into the house(with no success) and a bee or two coming out of then cone every 5 minuites. I opened up my hive on Saturday and the queen cells have hatched and the hive is loaded with bees. If I smack the side of the house only about five bees with house out. Are these bees that have just emerged from cells? At what point do I remove the cone?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wouldn't think they would have enough honey stored to worry about it. On the other hand if you have the time and energy, you could do that.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
It takes 3 weeks for a worker to emerge. If there was enough honey and pollen in there to feed them, they are still emerging, and will be for at least another week. It is also possible the queen is still alive and well in the house. I just picked up a hive tonight where I had removed the hive too soon, 3 weeks after I removed it, the hive again begin to forage at a fairly good pace. I had to set another cone and box last week in may. I just removed it tonight. I would give them a week after I seen the last bee exit the cone. Then you can remove the cone and let them clean the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts