Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have just done my hive inspections. And I have cone across this weird situation. In one of my hive I have found black, rat poo looking shapes with white dots in one of the brood frames, they come out fairly easy, almost fall out.
There is no other sign of distress or disease, frames look good, heaps of brood, pollen and nectar.
Could this be Chalkbrood?
we are in the middle of summer here in Australia, but we had heaps of rain, would this cause chaulkbrood?
If so, what would be the best cure?
Thanks heaps for your help!
Jens

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Chalk brood mummies resulting from a fungus that causes chalk brood disease.

On another note: What's up with those cells where the cappings have a hole in the center of them?

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Chalkbrood?
So glad they allow 24 hours to edit 🥴 As I've not been able to type correctly all day or it's auto correct.... which doesn't like some Bee words.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just took the bottom vent apart and there is heaps of black dead larvae, so yes Chalkbrood might be the answer.
Some of the holes in the capping are dead larvae, some didn’t seem to be affected, I have only spotted the issue on one frame so far, I have removed that frame and left the vents on the hive doctor bottom board open.
Would high humidity cause this disease?
Temperatures are areound the 25 to 30 deg Celsius during the day and about 19 deg C over night.
Humidity is at about 70% during the day.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Yes, humidity is thought to be a factor along with genetics. Many have success by re-queening and moving hives to full sunlight. What is their location like?
The pierced cappings may be another issue. Open them up and post some more pics. J

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Yes, humidity is thought to be a factor along with genetics. Many have success by re-queening and moving hives to full sunlight. What is their location like?
The pierced cappings may be another issue. Open them up and post some more pics. J
I have read somewhere of conjecture that the capping piercing is done by bees separate from the crew that goes around and actually uncaps them. I noticed a similar piercing on some combs during my European Foulbrood adventure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmmm-70% humidity would be considered low here.
So I take it humidity might not be the issue then, I have removed the frame of damaged brood, put a fresh one in, cleaned the bottom board tray with alcohol and lets hope we get them back on their feed. the hive is pretty busy. I keep you posted.
Now I am pretty new to all of this, I have read on here about the banana theory, leaving a banana in the hive and that will feed the bees and help it clear up.
Is this for real or are you guys having a good laugh?
thanks heaps again!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They will remove them, but curious if the cap has been pierced from an emerging bee. J
yes there is emerging brood too,
We had several weeks of rain with almost no proper sunshine.
That could be a contributing factor. I’ll check the bottom boards again today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
.... I have read on here about the banana theory, leaving a banana in the hive and that will feed the bees and help it clear up.
Is this for real or are you guys having a good laugh?
thanks heaps again!
Some might laugh, that's alright. It is more important to learn.
You could learn from my experience with bananas: DON'T

Where abouts in Australia are you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some might laugh, that's alright. It is more important to learn.
You could learn from my experience with bananas: DON'T

Where abouts in Australia are you?
Thanks Marg,
I might give it a miss then. Thought it was a bit strange, but one never stops learning.
And may I say, I am sure there are some remedies out there which work, and also require ‘outside the box’ thinking.
Hence my question.

I live in New South Wales, near the border to Queensland on the eastern side. About 2.5hrs south of Brisbane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts