Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start my acknowledging that I understand the answer may already be present on this forum. If this is the cause please feel free to just push me that direction. I just joined the forum thinking I would research and ask questions for a few weeks and then split my hive. Instead today when I looked a huge bundle of bees were hanging out on the outside of the hive. This is what brings me to my slight panic.

I'm going to attach two things to this thread. First a video of the hive 3 days ago. (A geeked it out a bit but normal color starts 30 seconds into the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef0s08h5H9I

The reason for sharing this video is simply to attempt to verify type breed bees we have.

Secondly I am attaching a photo of the hive from TODAY. The reason for sharing this photo is to hopefully get feedback on whether I should, or should not, be concerned about a swarm within the near future.

Phill and I have 1000's of questions but don't want to write a 4 page essay for you all to read. Instead, we're working, as roomates and co-owners of the hive, to develop the best and most direct questions we can. Additionally within 24 hours I will add on more video, FROM TODAY, of us opening the and looking inside the hive.

But for now while he googles and gets answers to some questions I have written this.

We have a bee store in town and can pick up a queen within 48 hours. We first are trying to clearly if we can have a different breed queen with different breed bees. OR must we get the same type of queen as out bees are?

I suppose that is it for now. Phill will chime in soon to say hi and no doubt ask a few random questions. And I as mentioned will add the video from today once I edit out all the non-useful seconds as to shorten it as much as I can.

On a side note; please excuse bad grammar as we decided it was most ideal to have some beer tastings while w did our research.

Best wishes,
David
hive1 low quaility.jpg

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
What the hive looks like on the outside doesn't say a lot to me.It's the inside of the hive that tells the true story.Are there any capped or uncapped queen cells?Are there a lot of queen cells or just a few?Where on the frame are the queen cells?Are the cells on the bottom or close to the bottom of the frame?Are the queen cells on the border of the brood in the middle and or towards the top of the frame?This is what I look for to help determine if the hive is swarming or superceding.That's just for openers.:scratch:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Nothing looks to be wrong
From the outside view
Your hive is booming
The bees hag in on the out side in Normal Bearding
It's done as they are cooling
The inside has many bees if they are not needed to work
Heat or cool the hung out somewhere
Most times it's on the front face of the hive
You need to go in and look to see if they need anything
Including another box( super)

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Bearding does not necessarily mean bees are going to swarm, And yes you can mix a queen of most breeding with other bees , some times Carni's can be a bit finicky. Most bees today have some sort of genetic subspecialty intermixing, It is very difficult to find a Pure Anything in the bee world in the U.S. We have no place so Isolated as to ensure genetic purity.

Since you expressed a desire to split your hives. I would now do a thorough inspection looking for signs of swarm cells, I prefer to do this split when no cell are present, (before the bees get into swarm Mode)! Take the queen with two frames of brood and covering bees and place them in a nuc, take a frame of stores (honey and pollen) and place it in the nuc, and two empty frames. Now I Prefer to move this away from the original location by at least 2 miles to keep the foragers from drifting back to the mother hive. Condense the mother hive frames down and place 5 new frames on the outboard sides of the hive. the hive will build a new queen, and you will have a split, while at the same time doing swarm prevention. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So if I open the hive up inspect it maybe take a few pictures then decide to split it the next day will that aggravate the bees to much and make them want to leave the hive?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What the hive looks like on the outside doesn't say a lot to me.It's the inside of the hive that tells the true story.Are there any capped or uncapped queen cells?Are there a lot of queen cells or just a few?Where on the frame are the queen cells?Are the cells on the bottom or close to the bottom of the frame?Are the queen cells on the border of the brood in the middle and or towards the top of the frame?This is what I look for to help determine if the hive is swarming or superceding.That's just for openers.:scratch:
Thanks for the quick feedback. Glad to know the outside bundle of bees is not a sure sign of a potential swarm. Also the questions you've brought up for us to consider will be helpful us as we look deeper into the hive. Yesterday we popped the top. No queen cells on top but we also only pulled the lid and two trays. (It was getting near sundown and our last night experience was very "uncomfortable"). The short video of yesterday is posted on youtube now at: http://youtu.be/Fu7Bw7nOTHs

There was weird Red and also a small green spot,located on tray two, that we wonder very much about.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank God Ya'll ain't drinking moonshine Whoooooooeeee
LoL, not on a work night... Just a couple good micro brews... ok more than a couple perhaps. :) We were supposed to go out to a brewery before seeing the bees looking so wild. Bringing a few good beers home and researching Bees seemed an ideal compromise. heheh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing looks to be wrong
From the outside view
Your hive is booming
The bees hag in on the out side in Normal Bearding
It's done as they are cooling
The inside has many bees if they are not needed to work
Heat or cool the hung out somewhere
Most times it's on the front face of the hive
You need to go in and look to see if they need anything
Including another box( super)
Thanks for the information, I'm slowing calming down about them running away. Here is a small peak inside the hive from a short video I took and edited yesterday: http://youtu.be/Fu7Bw7nOTHs

We do have another 10 tray box to put on top. As far as splitting them rather than giving them space, before asking this question, I think we need to look more into the boxes to see if there is plenty of brood, pollen, and honey trays to put into the new hive?

We don't have any brood boxes but are thinking to use an 8 tray box for splitting instead. We are still googleing and youtubing and reading up on the many splitting techniques people use. We're just feeling a bit behind schudule on what we feel we should know NOW.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
From the video, the red and green is possibly pollen. Also, you need an extra box. I saw a feeder. I am not sure if you're still feeding on not. Personally, since they have 3 boxes drawn and stuff stored, I would take them off the syrup. However, in Ohio, we have summer flow and a late flow. I am not sure what is the situation CA. Hopefully somebody from the area can chime in.

To figure out whether they are trying to swarm, you will need to look in the bottom 2 boxes (the brood nest).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bearding does not necessarily mean bees are going to swarm, And yes you can mix a queen of most breeding with other bees , some times Carni's can be a bit finicky. Most bees today have some sort of genetic subspecialty intermixing, It is very difficult to find a Pure Anything in the bee world in the U.S. We have no place so Isolated as to ensure genetic purity.

Since you expressed a desire to split your hives. I would now do a thorough inspection looking for signs of swarm cells, I prefer to do this split when no cell are present, (before the bees get into swarm Mode)! Take the queen with two frames of brood and covering bees and place them in a nuc, take a frame of stores (honey and pollen) and place it in the nuc, and two empty frames. Now I Prefer to move this away from the original location by at least 2 miles to keep the foragers from drifting back to the mother hive. Condense the mother hive frames down and place 5 new frames on the outboard sides of the hive. the hive will build a new queen, and you will have a split, while at the same time doing swarm prevention. Hope this helps, Good Luck.
Yeah, thanks for the info. We picked up a queen today and looking into the hive for the details today. hopefully we find what we need to split. If we do then we shall begin the process this Saturday. Otherwise we will have a very lonely queen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the video, the red and green is possibly pollen. Also, you need an extra box. I saw a feeder. I am not sure if you're still feeding on not. Personally, since they have 3 boxes drawn and stuff stored, I would take them off the syrup. However, in Ohio, we have summer flow and a late flow. I am not sure what is the situation CA. Hopefully somebody from the area can chime in.

To figure out whether they are trying to swarm, you will need to look in the bottom 2 boxes (the brood nest).
Thanks for the info on the colors. We actually fed them just twice. 2 times in one month when we first added the new third box on top. That was about a month ago maybe a bit longer like 5 weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts