Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I had a hive swarm. It bypassed my trap and went about 45 feet up in a tree, very hard to get to. It has been there for 6 days and has endured 3 huge rain storms and wind gusts up to 40 mph. They have not done much of anything but there are some flying around it.
Over the past 2 days I have used a ladder and a 20' pole with a bucket and managed to get maybe half down. I put them in a new hive and they are balled up and don't seem to have jobs or try to fly back up to the remaining swarm ball. I have not found a queen so assume she is still with the remains swarm. The weather, when not raining, has been 60s-70s with night temps high 40s/low 50s. I will try to get the remaining bees today, but it is difficult because they are where several branches overlap making it difficult, and my pole saw cannot reach.
My question: Is it possible/probable during one of the storms the queen died and now they are confused and don't know what to do so they are just staying balled up not doing much?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks
Damien

·
Registered
456 Posts
Usually if the queen dies or if the swarm gets split the bees try to return to the original hive. She is probably still up there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also look hard under the tree if there are any clumps of bees on the ground. As a result of you manipulations since queens don't fly very well she may fall to the ground and just sit there. Happened to two of my swarms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts