Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a spreadsheet to determine sizing for different sized langstroth boxes. The idea being that the long sides don't change since they are based on the length of a frame. However, the narrow sides will change depending on how many frames you are doing. (e.g. 10, 8, 5). There are some additional calculations that will calculate sizes based on multiple queen colonies. (e.g. two 3FD fit under one 8FD or three 6FD fit under two 10FD)

I am looking at "industry standard" sizes if the goal is just to add a piece to an existing commercial boxes. But also some "optimized" ones, based on empty space after the specified number of frames are placed. It would be possible that such a design would not be 100% compatible with a box you would buy from Mann Lake or such, but if you are building your own equipment, this would not be an issue.

Anyway, this is currently messy and not quite ready to share, but I am satisfied with the calculated sizing so far.

Is this something that anyone is interested in? Are there any specific features you are interested in? (being able to enter the lumber thickness for example while maintaining the same internal space, or external foot print and show reduced number of frames)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Some things are already known.
Two 4 fr "supers" will fit on a divided 10 fr double nuc and can be covered with a 10 frame cover.
A 4 fr "super" fits a 5 fr plywood nuc and 2 can be stacked side by side,wrapped and covered by a 10 fr cover.
Ian Stepler puts 3 -6fr nucs on a pallet,covers with 2 Q excluders and 2- 10 fr supers.

A spreadsheet might be valuable to the OCD type but the majority of the experienced beeks operate by the seat of their pants and word of mouth.
I have had very few original ideas but will not hesitate to copy something that works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.